One

Antonarie Cheri Tremble | Narie.

" You got all your clothes and stuff settled in? My mama told me to come check on you." Kori asked. Peeking her head inside of the guest bedroom.

" Yeah. I finished unpacking about ten minutes ago. I was just sitting here thinking." I said grabbing my phone from off the charger.

" Thinking bout what?" She asked coming over taking a seat next me." How I'll survive." I frowned causing her to bust out laughing.

" Girl quit being so damn uptight! Ain't shit out here that crazy for you to be thinking that."

" You could've came down and visited m—"

" I always come down to DC in the summer for yo ass. It was time for us to switch up the flow a lil bit." She smiled standing up.

" It's just really.. I don't know? Rough out here." I said. " Really rough."

" And the fact that I'm gonna be down here until August is killing me." I mumbled crossing my arms.

Being that school was now out for the summer. I was met with the choice of getting flown out to Compton to stay with my cousin Korien and Aunt Joyce until August.

Usually Kori would come down to DC and stay with me but she said that she was tired of coming there. And would feel better if I came down to stay with her instead.

I had told her no at first. Being that she lived in the rough part of her neighborhood. The violence in that area was off the charts. And the amount of gang activity that was around and in her neighborhood was completely out of control.

Even the reviews online from their apartment complex on google said the same. I remember one person commented saying that they were caught in the middle of a drive by, while they were checking their mailbox.

And if you can't go outside in peace in your own neighborhood? That's a problem.

" You so damn boujee." She shook her head and said. " You act like DC so perfect."

" It is." I frowned my face up getting defensive.

" People don't die everyday out there. Unlike over here? You can't even check your own mailbox in peace without getting caught in a drive by."

" Narie that review was old as shit. Now quit bitching and bring ya ass with me to the store."

" Are we driving there?" I asked following her into the living room. " Bitc— MA?!" She yelled out with a mug plastered across her face.

" What the hell you want Korien? I'm tryna fucking pray." She frowned coming from out of the kitchen.

" And you cussing like that but got the nerve to be asking god for shit? Forgiveness at that too?" She laughed loudly waving her off.

" Girl what you want?"

" Your prissy ass niece still hungover about that drive by that happened out front last year." She pointed at me and said.

" Narie quit being so high class like your neighborhood any bett—"

" IT IS!" I exclaimed smacking my teeth.

" I think she get it from her daddy side what you think Ma?" Kori looked over at Aunt Joyce making her nod agreeing.

" I think so too." She nodded.

" Cause her mama ain't shit close to proper with her fat as—"

" Hey!" I frowned. " She's trying to lose weight actually." I rolled my eyes hardly watching as they laughed at me.