Chapter 3

We walk into the hallway and see Cole standing by the stairwell.

"Baby please just listen to me okay? She kissed me I promise." He runs up to her and tries to hug her, but she pushes him away.

"You want to know something? I'm done with you Cole. I know I've exaggerated about a lot of things with us, but I'm done. This is the third time you've let the same girl kiss you, and I'm done giving you all these chances." She grabs my arm and pushes Cole out of the way and we go down the stairs.

"Babe please, just give me another chance!" He follows us down the stairs and I just keep my mouth shut. She turns around and says,

"Leave." In the coldest tone I've ever heard, and he bows his head to go walk away.

"Girl you told him!" She laughs and we head to the pool.

"He deserved it. That's literally been the third time I've caught him. I'm done." I smile and we approach the pool. Larissa opens the door and we see the girls swim team in the pool. The diving well is open, so I hope the coach will let us swim there.

"One second I'll go talk to Lyle about us swimming." I nod and sit on the bleachers watching them swim butterfly. All of the memories of me competing, training all night, and all of my friends come right back to me. Caitlyn and I swimming every day, training, and sleepovers. I wonder if she misses me. I grab my phone and call Mikah. It rings three times before he picks up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mikah it's Nellie."

"I know it's you, I saved you in my phone from the last time. What's up?"

"What happened to Caitlyn? I don't remember much about her. So I was wondering if you could maybe tell me something."

"After you quit she made nationals and got really sick. Her mom took her to the doctor and they found out she had stage four leukemia. She died a month later due to  how far along she was, and there was nothing anyone could do. Don't worry, you were there with her every day through chemo and held her hand when she died. I'm surprised you asked about her, because I didn't think you'd remember." I smile knowing who gave me the memory. My dad.

"Thanks Mikah. How've you been? I miss you!"

"I've been good. You need to come over here so we can hang out since we both will be off of school by summer."

"I will! Just let me know when you want me to come and I'll be there!" Larissa waves at me to come over and talk to Lyle.

"I have to go. I'm getting back in the pool today. I'll talk to you soon. Love you!"

"Congrats! Love you too!" I hang up and walk towards Lyle.

"So you're the famous Nellie. I remember you. I tried gettingyou to go to school out here. You said you'd consider it, then I found out you quit after scoring a record state time. That was unbelievable. Why'd you quit?"

"I don't remember much of it, but I think I stopped enjoying it. It wasn't fun and I couldn't bring myself to actually go to practice. I want to try and get back in the pool again."

"I'm glad you've dcided to get back in. So let's go!"

Larissa leads me to the lockeroom and I walk into the bathroom and grab a stall. I peel off my clothes and begin attempting to pull my suit up. How do you swim in these? They're so tight I can't even breathe!

"Larissa I'm going to need some help pulling it up." I heaar her laugh and walk over to my stall. I unlock it and open it to see her wearing a neon pink and black suit.