Chapter 1: First Impressions

I looked out of my windows at the bleak and starless night sky. There was no reason for me to continue living anymore, was there? I placed my palm against the cool glass and glanced down at the 20 feet below me. Without thinking, I pushed open the glass and stepped out, placing my feet along the windowsill, then hung them as I sat along the edge.

"Maybe I should just jump," I muttered to myself. But was this really my best option?

"Well now, that might cause some damage from this height, don't you think?"

I whipped my head around to see who had broken in through my locked front door. To my surprise, a young man with short, jet black hair and piercing red eyes stood in my doorway with a pocket knife clutched in his hand. He appeared to be in his early 20's. I said nothing, but turned to face him. As I shifted my body in his direction, my leg slipped off the sill.

I'm falling! I screamed as loud as I could, but still, I heard nothing. Even now, I wonder if it was only audible within my own head; I shut my eyes to keep from panicking.

In a second, I no longer felt the wind rushing my face and I opened my eyes. Gripping my wrist was the same boy I had just seen, with the same chilling smirk across his lips. Shock overtook me as my breathing hitched and my heart raced.

"What did I just say? Geez you don't listen," he pulled me up and into the apartment room to safety before closing the open window. "Humans are so interesting, aren't they?"

I parted my lips to speak, but no words were able to escape. Instead, I could only sit on the white leather couch and put my head between my knees. The man joined and sat across from me.

"I received a call from a friend of yours, who wanted to be kept anonymous so don't ask. She said you might be facing trouble due to a recent..." his face seemed to light up at the next word.

"Accident?"

With a sudden intake of breath, I had to steady the oncoming dizziness before it worsened. I kept my mouth shut tight and steered my gaze away from his. This was not the subject I had intended to discuss anytime soon.

"I take it I'm right then," he laughed, "That's good, I hate being wrong! Almost as much as I hate Shizu-chan...almost". He leaned back against the cool leather and began to speak again. "Come on, what's your name?"

I picked my head up and looked directly at him. "Before I answer any of your questions, you'd better answer some of mine!" I glared. What right does this stranger have to break in and then ask the questions?

"Whoa a bit feisty there. Alright, fine," he chuckled. "What's on your mind?"

This idiotic bastard! He's just humoring me!

"Who are you? And how did you get in?"

"Who, me?" he asked jokingly with an innocent look on his smug face.

Yes you, who else, idiot?!

"My name is Izaya Orihara. I'm an information broker. I know pretty much everything about everyone, including you, Hana Fujiwara." With a look mixed with surprise and concern, I waited for him to continue. "As for how I got in," he pulled out a small knife from the pocket of his black jacket, "Well surely you aren't that stupid, right?"

I tried to keep my composure, but this man was pissing me off. "Well alright then, Izaya, now I know who to address the restraining order to. If you don't mind, I'd prefer to be alone right now." I stood up and walked toward the door, showing him out. He stood as well, but did not follow me to the door.

"It sucks when we don't get what we want," he shrugged and put the knife back into his pocket. "I'll leave now, but I'm afraid you'll have to see me more often than either of us would like. I mean, I guess you're cute and all, but I really can't see who would want to waste their time near someone as internally rotten as you." He smirked again and left the room with a slight wave. "See ya later...Hana-chan."

Right after he left my sight around the corner, I slammed the door shut with all my strength. "Damn him!!" I yelled and punched the couch pillow. Less than a minute later, my cell phone beeped on the side table. Trying to calm myself, I picked it up to unlock it. When I opened the incoming message, I gripped the phone and threw it against the couch.

Don't wake up the neighbors with your tantrum.

-Izaya