Chapter 8: An Interesting Encounter

“Wow, I hadn’t noticed how big Ikebukuro was until now!” I marveled at the sights around town as we walked together. I had only just moved to Shinjuku about 2 months ago and I hadn’t paid attention to local sight-seeing or traveling into the nearby cities.

He chuckled, “You look like a little kid, gawking like that.” He patted my head once again with an amused look on his face.

Before I could get out any words, we heard a thunderous shout from a few feet away.

“Izaayaaaa!”

He turned around to reveal a man with blonde hair, wearing a bartender uniform and bluish-purple sunglasses hiding his eyes.

“Shizu-chan!” Izaya smirked, “Funny seeing you here.”

Wait, “Shizu-chan”?! This guy? He’s nothing like I imagined!

The man marched up to us and threw a fist at Izaya, which he easily dodged. “I told you not to call me that!" he raged, "I’m gonna make sure you die today, flea! I’ll see that your face goes into the ground!” He started to pull the lamp post out of the nearby sidewalk.

So strong! He can’t be human!

“Aw, but Shizu-chan,” Izaya teased, which only made him more irritated, “If you do that, I won’t be able to finish my date with Hana-chan here.”

D-date? Stop being stupid! This isn’t a date!

I blushed and jumped back, unable to defend my case. The blonde brute gripped the post and threw it behind him as if it didn’t weigh anything at all. He stepped closer, straining to remain calm.

I bowed out of intimidation and stammered, “Um....my name is Hana Fujiwara.” Looking back up at him, I added, “It’s nice to meet you...” I paused once I realized I didn’t actually know his name. I held back the urge to call him "Shizu-chan".

“The name’s Shizuo Heiwajima,” he prompted as he removed the sunglasses and tucked them into his vest pocket. He studied me for a few seconds and then glared intently at Izaya. “So are you preying on little girls now, Izaya? What the hell is wrong with you, you sick bastard!”

L-Little girl? He acts like I’m in grade school or something!

“Well actually...um” I stuttered, trying not to make him even more angry than he was.

Izaya jumped behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders. “Actually, Shizu-chan, she’s just my age,” he lied. “What’s wrong? Are you jealous that I’ve found a cute girl like her?”

My face heated as I rapidly shook my head. “N-No, it’s really not what you think. We aren’t together!”

Unfortunately, Shizuo hadn’t even heard me before he was already reaching for the next lamp post in the line. He gripped it tight and lifted it with ease.

He wouldn’t attack us out in the open, would he?

As Shizuo held the post over his head, I outstretched my arms widely. I didn’t know really what I was getting myself into; my body seemed to move on it’s own.

“Stop!” I yelled, “Just leave him alone!” I knew I couldn’t do anything against Shizuo, all I could hope to do was calm him down. However, my effort didn’t have the desired effect. He just ignored me, his eyes focused on the raven-haired jerk behind me. He wasn’t going to slow down. I shut my eyes quickly and waited for the impact.

All of a sudden, I felt a forceful push and found myself on the ground as a huge crash erupted behind me. I jumped up and looked around frantically, but I couldn’t see anything through the thick dust and smoke that filled the air around us.

Crap! What happened?!

A gleam of metal reflecting the sun caught my eye. As the dust settled, there was Izaya, holding his prized knife against Shizuo’s neck; and Shizuo, gripping Izaya by the collar.

“Shizu-chan,” he began with an angry look in his eyes, "If you are going to go ballistic, that's fine. But leave Hana out of it. If you hurt her, I'll kill you." He actually appeared to be serious, a much different look than his normal idiocy.

He's not messing around this time!

“Wait!” I knew I shouldn’t jump in, especially with what had just happened not even a minute before, but I found myself standing in the middle once again.

It didn’t seem like my interference was making much of a difference for the situation. But with a shove of his arm, Shizuo let go of Izaya’s collar.  “Tch, I don’t have time to deal with you anyway...I won’t let you off easy again, so enjoy it while you can.” He backed off and pulled a cigarette out of the box in his pocket. Lighting it, he glanced at me again with an indifferent expression and ambled off in the opposite direction without another word.

I took a deep breath. A few seconds passed and I heard a somewhat sinister chuckle to the right of me. I looked up and saw Izaya, sliding his knife back into his jacket pocket, with a smile spread across his lips.

“Hana-chan, are you alright?”

With a light blush warming my cheeks, I responded, “Yes. I’m fine.”

He paused, letting out a gentle sigh. “We should just go back. I’m sure you’re a bit shaken up, huh?”

“I’m really okay, I swear!”

He placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled again.

What’s going on? He’s suddenly changed his mind?

“Thank you.”