Chapter 9: Bonding

When we made it back to the apartment, Izaya obnoxiously fell onto the couch with a loud sigh. “Darn Shizu-chan! He always ruins everything!” It wasn’t hard to tell he was joking.

I knew that he wasn’t serious, but even so, I wondered what he was really thinking. Glancing at him, I remembered what he had said before.

“If you do that, I won't be able to finish my date with Hana-chan here!”

I looked away and shuddered. The thought of Izaya and I on a date disgusted me. With how much of a maniacal jerk he has been, I couldn’t imagine being romantically involved with him in any way, shape, or form. I shook the thought from my mind and walked toward the kitchen area.

“I’m gonna to make some tea,” I called from over the counter, “Want some?”

“Sure, thank you.” he replied, “Ah, Hana-chan, do you have any ootoro?” He looked up with a curious expression.

“Let me see,” I opened the fridge and peered inside at the almost bare shelves. “No, sorry..." With a slight pause, I added, "I didn't know you liked tuna. I do too."

The man put on a smile, that seemed to be sincere, but I knew better by this point. "Yeah, fatty tuna is the best!"

I grinned, happy to have found something in common with him. Casually shutting the fridge door, I continued, "I'll have to pick some up another time."

I pulled the tea out of the cupboard, green tea as always, and began boiling a pot of water on the stove. After a few minutes, I called, “Hey, Izaya. Are you going to use the T.V.? I want to watch a movie.”

No response.

“Izaya?” I peered out of the kitchen and didn’t see him sitting on the couch anymore. Shrugging, I walked back to the stove and waited for the water to finish boiling before turning off the fire. I made two cups of tea and brought them out into the living room. Setting them on the coffee table, I sat on the couch and put my feet up before grabbing the remote and turning on the television.

I scrolled through the menu of movies playing and came across the title that I recognized.

Hm, I haven’t seen this one yet, but I really wanted to.

“This should be good,” I muttered and put the remote next to me as the movie had just begun. About five minutes into the beginning, I heard a door open and turn to see Izaya stepping out of his room.

“What are you watching, Hana-chan?” he asked as he leaned both arms on the top of the couch. He noticed the cup of tea on the table and walked around to pick it up, then sat next to me. “Oh, this is that new movie that just came out, isn’t it? I heard it’s good.”

“Awesome. Now shut up so I can watch it,” I scolded, turning my attention back to the screen.

“Movies like these are so predictable. It’s pathetic, really.” He leaned back onto the leather and threw his head back with a sigh, “Can’t people come up with any new, original ideas?” I gave him an irritated look without saying anything.

“It’s true, Hana-chan. It’s obvious.” Izaya pointed to the screen, “See that girl? She’s bound to end up with him,” he commented while pointing to a second character on the screen.

Can’t this idiot just shut up?!

Still, I kept my temper under control, shooting only a sharp glare in response. He was pissing me off, but I didn't want to spoil the once-in-a-lifetime moment of "bonding" -- if it could even be called that -- with my roommate. Although it was a little late for that.

"Seriously. He's going to cheat on his girlfriend, get the main girl pregnant, and then ditch her because he can't deal with the pressure," he explained, pointing out each character not even five seconds after they came on screen.

Damn his deduction skills.

My irritation was building up. “Stop spoiling things! If you don’t want to watch it, then go away.” I was sure he had better things to do anyways.

“It’s not that I don’t want to watch, I’m just pointing out the flaws. They’re pretty significant, don’t you think? I’m sure you noticed it too, right?” he questioned.

I sighed. “It’s not about whether or not the flaws are obvious, Izaya. Sure, I’ve seen a ton of movies that all turn out the same: the girl gets the guy, the best friend is a backstabber, whatever. I know those cliché things happen in most movies.” I leaned back as well and watched the screen. “But the reason why people watch them, or at least why I like to watch them, is because of the story. The plot that builds up. Sure, they might all end the same, but the way of getting to the end is always different. There’s a different cast of characters each time. The way they’re introduced and how they all interact; those are the best things about movies like this. It might seem to be going one way, and you think for sure you've got it all mapped out, but then they throw some kind of twist at you. It’s interesting to see how each story unfolds into something bigger."

Izaya didn't respond, but only watched me with a surprised expression, his eyes the size of dinner plates, a rather amusing look for him actually. I had never seen him caught off-guard before, and certainly not because of anything I'd said.

“What?” I asked as I turned to look at him.

“Ah, it’s nothing,” he replied, casually waving his hand, shaking the unusual expression off of his face as quickly as it came.

It’s obviously something...

However, I brushed it off and continued to watch the movie. Izaya didn’t make any more comments, but sat and watched the television screen quietly. Had I actually said something that intrigued him?

Just as I had thought, a plot twist occurred, throwing the movie in a completely different direction than either of us thought. I sat practically on the edge of the leather couch while the man beside me leaned back, slouched comfortably in his seat. But even with his cool and collected demeanor, I felt a slight jerk of movement on the couch and I realized that he had flinched with surprise just as I had. I was tempted to make a comment, running in his smug face that I was right, but I figured that might be a little much, so I left it alone.

When the movie ended, I stood and stretched my arms over my head. “That was a good movie,” I said to no one in particular. Yawning, I looked at the time and it was 6:30 p.m.

Wow, it’s still so early. I’m not really hungry or anything. I guess I’ll just go to bed.

“I’m gonna turn in early tonight. Feel free to make yourself some dinner if you're hungry.” I turned to walk to my bedroom. “I’ll probably come back out in a few hours to lock up and do the dishes.”

“Alright, Hana-chan. I’ll be up for a while working, so don't bother.” Izaya stood and went into the kitchen to make dinner I presumed.

Nodding, I opened my door. “Thanks, I’ll see ya tomorrow.” I could feel his lingering stare as I walked into my bedroom, closing the door behind me.