Chapter 5: An Accident To Remember

"The accident?"

My eyes widened as the flashback came back into mind. Me...standing alone...looking out...a pool of red.

Why does he need to talk about this now? Doesn't he know everything already?

Stuttering, I choked on my words. "Why...Why do you want to know about that? I thought you said you knew." Just the thought made my stomach churn.

I've got a bad feeling.

"I do know the basis of the situation. But I need to hear it from a primary source," he actually looked serious for once. "Seeing as you're the only one left, guess who gets that fun responsibility?" Izaya pointed a finger at me, half-joking and half-serious. "And just for entertainment, I'd like to hear your personal feelings on the subject. No doubt you've got a storm in there," he poked my forehead lightly. "I just love humans."

He talks about humans as if he isn't one himself!

He interrupted my thoughts with the grasp of my wrist. "But anyways, down to business," he pulled me up and crossed his own legs. "Tell me, Hana-chan. What happened?"

I balled my hand into a fist and held it in my lap. I didn't have a choice in the matter, even if I didn't trust him yet.

If I'm not going to man up now, I won't at all.

"It happened a year and a half ago. I was walking home from school with my boyfriend when we noticed a police car chasing another car drive past us. While the man being chased sped by us, he put his gun out the window and shot. I ducked, while my boyfriend jumped in the way to protect me."

I took a deep breath before continuing my story. I was surprised at how intently Izaya was listening. "He was bleeding fast, and I tried to save him, but he lost consciousness too quickly. I had no time to call an ambulance before he was dead at my feet. I knew there wasn't anything I could do, and I was scared, so I ran home, begging for any kind of help. When I rushed in, things were strangely quiet. It only took less than 2 minutes for me to find my family, also dead in my sister's room. I had realized that the man with the gun was driving away from my house, as if he had just been there. It wasn't hard to put two and two together."

"I see. So all people close to you." Izaya leaned back, balancing the weight with his arms behind him. "And you did nothing to save them."

"There was nothing I could do!" Tears welled up in my eyes without me even noticing them. My fist drew tighter as my body and heart clenched.

"That's where you're wrong; you could've taken the bullet. You could've called immediately after the shooting. You could've left school at an earlier time to avoid the shots altogether." he peered at me with his deep red eyes, "There's always something you can do. You were just too selfish to choose one."

He really is here to torture me.

"You're not helping."

Just when I thought he couldn't get more condescending, he leaned in very little and whispered, "Exactly."