Chapter 4: Confrontation

After what seemed to be an hour of lying on my bed, lost in thought, I heard the doorknob jiggling, then clanking. I sat up and watched as the door slowly swung open to reveal Izaya, trusted pocket knife in his fist, and the aroma of cooked eggs filled the room. I chose not to comment and put my head under my pillow, hoping he'd get the hint and go away. But of course, he did not.

"Hey, you never told me why you're here in the first place," I said slightly muffled under my pillow.

"Hm? I figured that would be obvious." He stepped into the room and sat near my feet on the far edge of the bed. "C'mon Hana-chan. Don't be stupid. I'm an information broker, remember? I know things. Including what happened to you." He paused before continuing. "Trust me, it's the last thing I want to be doing with my time," he sighed, "but it's got to be done sometime."

Last thing he wants to be doing... He's treating me like a child he's been forced to babysit.

"Don't treat me like a child. Same with this 'Hana-chan' thing. Even if you are 6 years older, I'm not a child," I snapped back. I lifted the checkered pillow off of my head and smoothed my hair.

"Aw, but it's so much fun! But like I said before, I don't see why anyone would willingly spend time with you. You know, I --"

Cutting him off, I raised my voice, "Shut up!" Now I was genuinely angry, and I was having trouble hiding it. Soon, everything just came out in a flash. "I could say the same about you! You're manipulative and maniacal, you take what you want without asking, you barge into my room all the time, and so much more! You have no idea how much you piss me off...Izaya!"

He said nothing, but instead chuckled and gave a light sigh. "Yeah I get that reaction a lot. I'm used to it at this point," he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets, "Honestly, I'm actually pretty amused by it." He said this with a grin that sent chills down my spine.

I can never take this guy seriously. I wonder what goes through that twisted head of his?

With a tired yawn, I fell back onto my soft comforter. Noticing Izaya still unmoved, I figured I should say something. "I'm pretty tired. You should go. Wouldn't want you getting any ideas, you pervert." I laughed lightly at my own joke, but the thought seemed to linger a little while.

"Right, as if someone would want to do anything to you," he retorted as he pushed himself up. "Oh, by the way..."

Opening one eye, I glanced in his direction. "Hm?"

"Isn't it about time you told me?"

"Told you what?"

What are you getting at? Just spit it out!

"The accident."