Chapter 2: Unexpected Suggestion

"Good morning, Hana-chan!"

SLAM

Why is he here so early?! I looked at my digital clock which read 7:00 A.M.

"Damn... Right on the hour?!"

I opened the door once again to see the familiar smirk of the idiot who lived three apartments down the hall.

"Now that's not nice, Hana-chan. I'd think you'd be used to me by now," he put his hand over the spot where his heart would be if he had one. "You know how much that hurts, don't you?"

Considering his mocking laughter at the end of that sentence, not a lot.

"Not that I don't love the excessive insults and your condescending nature, I don't see why you feel the need to visit every day; I'm fine. My life is going on just fine without your help." I leaned against the doorframe, blocking his path.

"I don't think you know how many times I've heard some person say that, and then guess what?" he pushed his way in and spun in a circle as he walked. "They all end up dead because they couldn't handle the pressure!" He looked over at me, "Whether I care about you or not, something keeps me from allowing the same from happening to you."

"Aw, now don't I feel special..." I placed my hand over my heart, in a similar fashion as he did before. "Look, it's been a week. You don't need to keep coming over here to check up on me," I shifted my weight to my left hip, supported by my hand.

Suddenly Izaya stopped in his tracks and began to laugh. "That's a great idea!"

Confused, I was taken aback by his unexpected reaction. "What do you mean? I didn't suggest anything..."

He glanced at me and smiled a bright, mock smile that proved I wouldn't like what he had to say. "I don't have to come here to check on you! I can just stay here and monitor you much more easily!"

Even with a cheery tone in his voice, the statement didn't process any easier. I stood there for a few seconds, trying to find the words to respond.

"See? You're speechless! I knew you'd agree!" with a change in tone, he asks, "Am I right?" as if expecting me to meltdown.

"Why?"

"Hm? What do you mean 'Why'?"

"Why do you even need to monitor me? You idiot! Who'd want you around?!" In a rush to find an insult, I added, "You may be attractive, but your overbearing personality cancels that out!"

Silence fell. Then awkwardness. Had I said something wrong? I was just mimicking his insult from our first meeting.

"Attractive?" he repeated, and he seemed to be genuinely curious. He walked over to me and patted my head like he would a child. "Hana-chan, do you have a crush? Little tsundere, how cute," following this was a smile. It was barely any better than his usual smirks. "Unfortunately, I'm just too old for you," he laughed. "Now listen to me like the good little girl I know you are." His grin grew even larger, if that was possible, as he took in my shocked face. "I'll move in right away, just for you! Now you don't have to worry about your pathetic life being too lonely!"

I stood there silently in shock, unable to utter a word.

Did he really just say that to me?! I knew he was a pushy jerk but this is taking it too far!

"See? So obedient" He patted my head once more as I stood in front of him, before turning on his heel and walking out of the room. I felt my face grow red and my hands begin to shake with anger as I finally came back to my senses.

"Dammit, Izaya! I hate you."

Again, a beep came from my phone in my jeans pocket. I took it out and read the text over the locked screen.

I know.

-Izaya