(10) Shot down (10)

"Get up, Dr. Heiderich! There's lives to save!" My commander yelled at me. I was up in seconds. Being a field medic wasn't easy- especially when your country is trying to take the world. I have been awake for too long- probably a day or two by now.

Since the war hit our little town I've been busy- between shooting down enemies and nursing comrades back to health.

I do it because I like to help people, I like the thrill, the challenge. Watching every movement carefully, shooting at the right time. Something about the slowed time right before you start to save life, something about the cries of families when their loved one comes back alive. It was worth it.

Alfons didn't like how close I was to the front lines of combat, but it's not like he could argue because of the dangerous environment he worked in aswell.

We were there for eachother, though. Since I found out he had cancer, working on a cure had been taking up any spare time I had. While, he was always working on a way to keep me safer while I was saving others.

I quickly shuffled out of the make shift room (located under an overhang). I was already dressed in my uniform, dirt all over my body from where we layed.

I hated being so filthy, but unfortunately it's that way when you're posted about an hour walk from home  I grabbed my supplies and hurried towards our medical station, where too many people were suffering. I felt myself smile. So many lives to save!

When I was about to start working, someone grabbed my shoulder "hey, Heiderich" they said happily. I turned to see my good friend Roy mustang. He was a soldier, a low ranking one at that, but he was determined to make his way up to the top- and I was going to see him do it. Mind you, he's saved my life once and I can't count how many times I've stitched him back together on my fingers.

I waved "hi, Mustang. I'm just about to start working so make it quick" I told him, and he nodded. He pulled out an envelope and handed it to me "your brother sent you a letter. That's all" he said and I nodded "Okay. If that's it I'll see you soon"

We both waved, and that was the end of my longest conversation for a long time. I opened the letter, and smiled as I read it. It was the same as normal. The same 'i miss you', 'stay safe', but it still made me feel happy and warm. I'm glad he doesn't betray me like the soldiers on the field do to their friends. I wrote a quick letter back and put it with the others on a table to be sent out, then got to work.

That day was a long day. Only a small amount of the people I and the others worked on lived, but on the other hand maybe it was good they died. Otherwise we would of just thrown them back into combat if they could still walk and hold a gun.

Everything went by really fast, and the adrenaline in me never died down, but, I guess time decided to freeze when I came up to the next wounded soldier and saw my friend.

He smirked at me "sorry, Heiderich.." he said softly, blood running down his chin from his mouth

I nodded and quickly felt around, trying to figure out what was wrong- I was an idiot for not noticing the growing blood stains near his chest.

I cursed silently.

"Am... I looking.... good?" He asked and I shook my head "no.. you're lucky youre alive right now.." I studdered softly with pain in my tone. I cut off the uniform in the area to confirm what I said, and saw a bullet shot.

"Dammit, Mustang. You were supposed to make it to the high ranks- not die young and low.." I groaned softly

"Is it... really that bad..?" He sounded like he was choking. The adrenaline in him was probably making him not feel the pain, or something dumb like that. He should be dead. Why wasn't he? I sighed sadly "yes. You were shot right in the chest" I replied and he finally understood what I meant by 'you should be dead'

He sighed "it's okay Heiderich... I think I made... it high enough if... I got to help people" he said and I made a messed up smile "you talk too much for a dieing person"

He nodded "i... guess" Roy studdered, smiling "it's starting.... to hurt now.." I nodded. It was clear by the way his face was now twisted with pain, and his eyes were closed tight.

I wasn't helping, because for the first time I knew I couldn't help the patient. But, I was still curious about why he didn't die from the impact.

I would leave that untill tomorrow. I stayed the night with mustang, untill he has peacefully fell asleep, and returned to our makeshift room and layed down in a daze. One of the people I actually cared about had died that day.

It was hard to believe, for me at least. It was hard to loose any patient, but when you loose someone who you care about it's like a whole different situation.

I closed my eyes, wished alfons good night from afar, and fell asleep.

Then, the sound of gunfire filled out our room, and no one was here to help us.

I'm sorry alfons, i won't be home to see you succeed..