2

"[He's] a very tolerant bloke, which of course, when it comes to relationships, is the worst thing you can be.
[He's] very tolerant because he couldn't care less." 

― Yasmina Reza, Art

🂲

The house party was an irregular one, for sure. Some sort of odd combination of the two years of college, bringing a mix of groups that George had never quite tasted.

He and Will arrived about an hour in, bringing drinks and a fresh atmosphere. George wouldn't boast about it, but he assumed they were quite popular, or at least reputable as the sort of people you want at parties. They were somehow always invited, him and Will and sometimes Niall and Joshy when they bothered to turn up. George almost never passed up a social. Not because he was an especially invested party guy, but more because he was always bored, always down to chill in different places.

Anyway, the group in the main room got a bit more lively as they slapped down cans of strongbow and shared out greetings. George liked the atmosphere of the place. It wasn't a rager, for sure, more of a chill thing that would eventually turn into a noise complaint.

George was content, and once Will had abandoned him to find the love of his life Mia, he began to wander through the rooms, observing what was going on. In the kitchen, Joshy had cleared a space for beer pong like the stereotype he was, George paused by the door, reluctant to step in fully. He didn't usually take part in the games. Partly because he didn't want to lose his mind drinking, and partly because observing was often more entertaining. Another reason was because he'd made too many mistakes in the past, doing shit like that.

He turned, bored already of Joshy's attempts to toss like various NBA players, and surveyed the small group sat playing drinking games on the sofas in the adjoining living room. He recognised a few of the people in the circle from the drama class in the year below, and briefly caught the hazel eyes of Sasha, the freckled girl whom he thought he'd hooked up with before. But he couldn't be sure sometimes. She wasn't in the drama class, was instead sporty, or scientific, or something.

George, a silhouette in the archway, watched on as the dares and laughs became more raucous. In the corner the grey eyed boy, Alex, sat, smiling along with his mates and cursing like a sailor when he drew a card meant for a dare.

The ringleader, Elena, a girl who George knew vaguely from his media course, looked around for inspiration. Spying George in the entryway, her smile grew. He shook his head, a calm rejection but her grin only spread.

"George." All the heads turned towards him, it would have been creepy if they weren't so tipsy and out of sync. He raised an eyebrow at their faces.

"Nah." He simply said, despite not having heard the dare for Alex yet. Elena knew him well enough to translate: "I'm just watching, I do not want to be involved."

She naturally ignored him. "Alex." Elena gestured to him. "Your dare is to give a lovely lapdance to our friend George here."

The year twelves who didn't know George so well all giggled and shook. What a concept. Their friend Alex dancing on an actual year thirteen, with George, no less.

Alex, to be fair to him, didn't look that scared. He stood up boldly and made a space for George to sit on the armchair. George, resigned and slightly pissed off, stepped over the people on the floor and took a seat. Alex held out his hand, "Alex" he said, as they shook hands.

"I know" George responded, slightly amused.

That threw Alex a little but he recovered quickly, "Always good to have a strong introduction before a lapdance, right?"