11

"We are such things as manure is made on, so let's drink up and forget it."― Eugene O'Neill, Long Day's Journey into Night

🂡🂡

Will's "sort of party thing" was definitely much more than that. George arrived a few minutes early to see if he could help with anything, and by then at least ten people were gathered in the kitchen, drinking. And more people were coming in every minute.

Will came over. "You alright, mate? Haven't heard from you in a bit."

"Yeah, I'm good. Alex is coming, yeah?" He tried to say it casually but Will looked right through him and whooped.

"Yes he definitely is." Will grinned. "Are you finally going to pull moves on this boy. If you want, I can engineer something to leave you two alone." He said it reasonably discreetly, but George didn't take him seriously, it would be foolish to do so.

Will let him go with little more words said. George got himself a snack, said hello to the right people, found a free sofa and waited. For some reason he knew Alex would be punctual and he was right.

Alex turned up not five minutes later, as the party was still growing. He saw George immediately, but didn't approach him. George noticed this as he pretended to ignore him, too. He also tried to ignore his racing heartbeat, but that seemed like an impossible.

George half-watched half sensed Alex make his way around the room. He headed to the drinks and took a shot, he said hello to the people he knew and nodded along to whatever they were saying. Slowly but eventually he ended up near George, not seeming to be aware of how he had tortured him for the last fifteen minutes.

Alex looked like a more angelic version of his usual self. He wore light grey jeans, one knee had a slight rip in it. His torso was covered by a huge, white, comfortable looking hoodie. George wasn't usually one to admire clothes or even care about other people's fashion, but he had to swallow, seeing Alex stood there framed in light.

George, sitting in a carefully chosen careless looking position, nodded hello. He then nodded again to the spot next to him and, deciding that was too much nodding, said, "You alright?"

Alex nodded back. "Decent social, this."

"Yeah." Was all George could say.

He was prevented from saying anything more by Sasha, who approached him holding two drinks.

She handed one to him wordlessly and waved to Alex. "You had a good week, George?" She asked.

"Yeah." He didn't let his gaze wander to Alex though. "Bit tiring." He pretended to yawn. "Thanks for the drink."

"No problem." Sasha said. She looked a little miffed as she stood up. "See you later, maybe."

"Yeah, maybe." He winced as she walked away. "Haven't done that in a while." He muttered, more to himself, but Alex seemed to hear.

"Done what? Her?"

"Jesus Christ, Alex." George was shocked.

"I'm just trying to understand the world of George." Alex explained. "Was that your way of rejecting a hook up?"

George thought of lying but then shrugged. "Yeah, I guess." He turned a little so his knee was touching Alex's. "You're judging me."

"No."

"You're definitely looking at me differently."

"Maybe." Alex said, a hint of guilt in his voice. "I'm just wondering how you do it."