7

"Life is a theatre set in which there are but few practicable entrances."
- Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

🂷

George winced multiple times as he watched Alex practice the kissing scene with Emma. And he was pretty sure everyone else was feeling the second hand embarrassment, too. Alex was just a nervous mess. He kept on mixing up his lines and taking the wrong steps.

George, who was supposed to be shifting things around for the drama teacher, had to stopand watch the catastrophe unfold.

This carried on for such a long time that the director, one of their classmates, took Alex aside and asked him if he was ok. They were stood near George, at the back of the stage, and he could see how Alex's hands shook as he talked to the director.

"I'm fine, really." He was saying. "Just didn't really sleep last night and I haven't had time to properly learn the scene yet. Sorry I'm a bit out of it today."

"It's cool." She said. "You've really improved recently in the other scenes though, I can see that your confidence is rising."

Alex nodded thanks, and shakily fist bumped George as he walked back to the group.

The actors tried the kissing scene once more but gave up once Alex stumbled and almost headbutted Emma. Instead they decided to do some voice techniques, doing all sorts of games and exercises that honestly made George want to rip an ear off.

But what hurt him most of all was watching Alex suffer through the rest of the rehearsal, clearly mortified from the disaster earlier, and definitely afraid of not being able to master the play.

George forced his eyes away from Alex and continued on with his work. Half an hour later the cast had wrapped up and George was about to head to the bike huts to smoke. Alex caught him on the way out.

"Hey" George said, a little wary.

"Hey. Can we do a run through?" Alex looked like a bit of a wreck.

"Sure. I have time." George didn't bother checking his watch, he always had time for Alex now.

"Thank you! I'm fucking dying with the scene change." Alex's relieved sigh showed his desperation.

"OK, no worries we can work through it." George gave his best comforting smile and grabbed a script. He headed to the approximate spot but let Alex guide him to the right place. Alex's fingers were thin, strong, just how he remembered them from the infernal lapdance.

"Ok. So, she's standing right here and - just say the lines how you like." Alex nodded to himself.

"Cool." George read through them but paused when the pivotal moment arose.

Alex talked through his motions. "And then I walk around and she sort of grabs me and pulls me in -" He yelped.

"Like that?" George asked, Alex now in his arms. He didn't let their faces near each other, just held him at a respectable distance.

Alex took a moment to gather himself. "Um. Yes, let's do it again, with proper speed this time."

"Ok. Go from your line?" George released him casually, as though it was something they do every day.

"Cathy, this entire time I feel like you've been lying to me. At what point -"

George found himself grabbing Alex automatically with one hand on his elbow and pulling him in close, their faces hovered a few centimeters apart.

It lasted a mere second before Alex nodded. "I think that worked as the motions."

"Great."

"I've got to run." Alex checked his watch and almost sprinted out, running back in to grab his coat. "Thanks for helping, George."

"No worries." George felt a little dizzy.