"When I said I would die a bachelor, I did not think I should live till I were married." - William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

🂵

The social that weekend was a little boring. It was mainly because George had been begged to go by Joshy, who wanted to hit up some year twelve who'd invited him along. And obviously Josh couldn't come without a fucking escort or whatever.

George understood, he supposed, watching the crowd gathered at the playground. Who would want to turn up to this mess without a pal to fortify them?

The sesh took place in a playground, in a park it was a Friday night, around 10PM, and maybe twenty people were there, mainly the classic group of stoners from the year below, and a freckling of people from Josh and George's year. George knew a few of their names and most of their faces, yet still he found himself looking for just one.

He declined on the joint that was passed around the circle he was standing in, instead lighting his own cig and puffing smoke rings into the night. He felt relaxed when the nicotine hit, not even having realised that he was on edge before.

He leaned on the edge of the climbing frame, only half paying attention to the conversation in front of him. He offered a light to the girl next to him. She smiled, he smiled back. She was pretty, from another school, and he'd definitely flirted with her before. Well, in his own way. As Will said, George never really flirted, he just waited.

As he finished his fag he watched her lips wrap around the cigarette, eyes on everything but the people standing in front of them in the gloom. She eventually turned to him, saw him watching, raised her eyebrow.

"I'm high." She said.

"Cool." He said.

They ducked under the shadows of the climbing frame and found each others lips. Her cig dropped from her fingers, his hands found her waist. She tasted of green and tobacco. He liked it.

But something didn't fit, it was wrong. Like a piece missing or never included. He gently let her go, and lead her back into the group. She didn't seem disappointed, just wrapped herself warmer in her hoodie and laughed along with the conversation she'd joined.

George looked around again and saw a lone figure sitting on a swing. He walked over and took the empty chair next to it.

"Hey George." Alex said.

"Hey Rog-"

George couldn't finish his sentence before somebody yelled to the group. "Yo, someone's called the fucking fuzz!"

George looked to where the guy was pointing to see a woman in her dressing gown with phone in hand, standing at the top of her garden, which looked out over the park, and taking photos of the youths. Inside, her husband was talking animatedly on the phone.

Everyone packed up and scarpered, while George stayed still, he saw Joshy, laughing, racing towards him, blunt still in hand. Josh grabbed him "Come on, Mr Whippy, let's skedaddle before I get reprimanded again."

George let Joshy drag him up and turned to wave goodbye to Alex, who was already on the other side of the further exit.

He and Josh tried to act somewhat natural as the police officer walked past them towards the playground. They nodded hello, then sprinted as soon as soon as they had sauntered round a corner.

"Some homeowners are so stuck up about us 'loitering' in these parks though, man. Like, we were just chilling too, no need to call the cops." Josh complained as they rounded another corner, heading for their neighbourhood.