"I could deny it if I liked. I could deny anything if I liked."
― Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

🂸

George had already got a hold of a copy of the script, so once he got home he set about texting Alex the first line in the first scene he was in. He rationalised it in that this was what any good friend would do, and Alex really needed the help.

Luckily, Alex responded before George could overanalyse his own action and they eventually got through the entire script.

ALEX

Did you cheat?

Only a little

Naughty Roger

I'm sorrryyy

We can rehearse again this week if you like?

I'm free on thursday at lunch

That would be mad useful, i need to get the flow of it down better

See you there

-

"What am I doing?" George complained as Will flopped down on his bed. The taller boy had come round to pick up some media studies homework and had evidently decided to stay for a while before going to work.

"What are you talking about?" Will asked, then he saw the look on George's face. "Ohh. Alex."

"Yeah. Alex." George mocked, sitting in his desk chair and doing a melodramatic spin.

"What's wrong with him, then? Is he not a good shagger? Have you discovered that you aren't, in fact, a homosexual?" Will questions, inspiring a disgruntled noise from George.

"Firstly, we haven't even kissed." George felt like an idiotic, whining teenager, but then he guessed he was. "Secondly, he hasn't made any moves on me. And thirdly, I am not gay, maybe part gay, but not gay. Get your facts straight."

Will hummed, "So there's nothing wrong with him, just something wrong with you."

"I wouldn't say that..." He trailed off. "It's just that I can't get him out of my head. I'm supposed to be building an entire set for this stupid play for them and all I do is stare at him." George cut off his little rant. He was embarrassed, but almost desperate to consult someone who wasn't his own brain, or dick.

"Sounds like you have a proper crush!" Will crowed. "Finally. I was suspecting that that was the case but I thought George Smith would never betray his nihilistic ideals."

George simply glared.

"All you do is mope, George. And you're not even sad." Will said. "This is the first time I've seen you emotionally invested in anything since we were about 11. And that includes the multitudes of girls you've gotten with."

"I haven't gotten with that many." George scoffed, rotating from side to side on his swivel chair.

"Yeah, only the ones who approach you at socials."

"So? That's not many."

Will snorted derisively at George's words."George, I know you haven't been keeping count because you don't care but if my estimations are right you are well over double digits, I think my calculations totalled at about 23 different girls last I checked."

George furrowed his brow. "Is that a lot?"

"A lot to not care about, Georgie. How many have you been seeing in the past three weeks anyway?" Will asked "Just to update my stats."

"None." George said, quietly. "I've not hooked up with anyone in three weeks."

"He's got you whipped!" Will cried, leaping off the bed and basking in some sort of glory.

"Has not." George denied vehemently.

"Has, too!" Will grinned. "This is glorious. So why aren't you two hooking up, yet?"

"He hasn't hinted anything like that to me, at all." George spinned around on the chair just to punctuate the point.

"Right, and the other party always has to approach you first." Will said, sarcasm shining through. He looked at George like he was an idiot. "You're an idiot."

"I'm not going to make a move." George said, stubbornly.

"Why the fuck wouldn't you?" Will looked almost defeated as he rose from the bed and grabbed the homework sheet. Like usual, he was running late for work.

"Because." George said.

"Because?" Will had one foot outside the door. He waited for George to reply for a few seconds then sighed and left.

George couldn't say it out loud, but he knew what he should have said.

Because what if he made a move and lost Alex forever?

-

WILL

10:36 PM

Forgot to tell you earlier bc you were moping but

There's a sort of party thing saturday

Wanna come

Who's is it

Mine ofc

Cool

I've invited alex

Not cool

But thank you