4.

Summer days

After the night my father dropped me off at my grandparents, I slowly started to forget about my face but not entirely because every now and the my chest would radiate with pain and my organs felt like they were constantly on fire. However by this point, almost 3 months since that weekend, I've all but forgotten my mates face. Her smell and the sound of her voice had no business in my head.

By the third or fourth week of being at my grandparents I had started to believe what my parents had told me about my mate. That she was not necessary nor was she good for me.

At this point in time I am doing yard work with my grandma and spending quality time with her.

"Say Nancy, you don't look so good." My grandma said in concern as she finished pulling a weed out of the garden bed.

"I'm fine grandma, just pre college jitters I guess." I said with a sigh since this was the third time today my grandma had asked if there was something wrong.

"Okay dear. Whatever you say." My grandma said giving up on it for the time being.

"Well if you feel good enough later, how about we go out to eat with Gramps?"

"Okay grandma." I said not wanting to disappoint but my stomach had been feel like I had eaten 2000 live fire ants for the past 3 days.

We finished up outside and went back in to grab a glass of iced tea and then we came back outside to the back porch where we sat in silence.

Then my grandma broke the silence and with a somber look and asked me " do you love that vampire girl?"

I didn't know what to say because I had been with my mate for all of one hour and we had only spoken a few words to each other.

"No. Or at least I don't think so. But my wolf keeps saying that we will. However everyone else says it's wrong. I mean we're not even the same species and she's an omega."

My grandma looked into my eyes with a with pain that reached into her soul and had ripped it out.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart." My grandma said standing up giving me a hug. I could feel tears on my shoulder but I didn't know what to say and simply hugged her back letting a tear or two slip out.

"You know your father has no right to tell you who you will or can't love. Him and your grandfather have such old fashioned ideas of what mates should be. All your father wants from you is the possibility of strong purebred alpha sons." My grandma said while holding my face tenderly but stern so that I was looking into her eyes.

At the end of her sentence I broke. I cried my heart out for all those willing to see and at that point I realized that I was right all along. That it was okay for me to love my mate. It was my family who had no foresight or care for my mental well being were the ones in the wrong.