3| 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝙋𝙄𝘿 𝙅𝘼𝘾𝙆𝙀𝙏

"Don't forget your jacket, Ellie," Steve extended an arm out, my denim jacket in hand. I pulled my lips into a straight smile and grabbed it softly.

"Thanks, goodnight Steve." I mumbled and bent over to wave at him bye from the passenger window. Steve nodded, I stepped back and began walking toward The Wheelers house. I stopped at the front door, turning back to Steve who still sat against the pavement. The engine wasn't on yet. I rolled my eyes and chuckled, waking inside.

Mike, the boys and the girls, made small talk coming up from the basement. I'm assuming they were playing Dungeons & Dragons. They all saw me set my shoes down next to the door and giggled. Max gave them all a frown and they all walked away, leaving Max and I standing by the door.

"Everyone knows you were with Billy today," Max sighed and sat on the last step of the staircase, "you sure your not a thing?"

I frowned at her, "out of all the people, he would be the last choice if it ever came down to it. No, we're nothing, he's just helping me out."

"He almost kissed you, Ellie. I saw it. We saw it."

"Hey, keep your voice down," I whispered coming closer to her.

I shoved a strand of hair behind my ear, glancing at her once more. I could feel the burning flush over my cheeks. Mrs. Wheeler walked up and smiled at both Max and I, then slipped back into the kitchen, with a broom in hand.

"The casserole smells good, yeah? Let's go eat."

Max rolled her eyes with a sigh and began to follow me into the kitchen.

Moms and dads and their children, scatter the room and the dining room. My eyes clicked on my aunts, "Ellie! Come over here, I saved a seat," She chanted and waved me over. I slid the seat back and plopped down. Dustin set his fork down, catching my attention. He had his lips pressed to a glass of milk, I gave him a snobby look and in result, he by mistakenly, blew bubbles in his drink, causing it to splatter all over his face.

"Dusty, stop playin' around," My aunt complained. Dustin gave her a look of defense, his eyes planting from hers to mine. He finally settled on mine and began to speak, "Ellie was with-."

I stomped on his foot under the table and he shut his mouth.

———

All the grown ups went into another room, leaving all of us kids together in the kitchen.

"You're a little shit, you know that Dustin?" I taunted. He stuck his tongue out at me and flicked me off.

"So are Ellie and Billy are a thing?" Mike blurted out. I dropped my fork and glared at him. Johnathan and Nancy flashed each other glances before, looking at me. Everyone else had their eyes on me too, except Max. She kept her eyes to her food, picking and poking at a piece of broccoli.

"No, we're not. Don't assume things Mike. Plus, why would I date.. that. Billy's an arrogant asshole and we've all encountered that, yeah?"

Everyone nodded and agreed.

"Well you didn't look like you hated him today, when he leaned in and almost kissed you." All the boys made kissing noises and cooed. I stuck a finger at them all, receiving giggles. All except Max.

Max caught eyes with mine, before standing and excusing herself from the table. I looked at Lucas, who looked at Mike with an embarrassed expression. Something felt fishy, I was gonna figure it out myself. I followed her through the kitchen and to the front door. She grabbed her skateboard, looking back at me before frowning and swinging open the front door. She dropped the board on the ground, then picked it back up.