⫷Chapter 5⫸

Lachlan's P.O.V.

The horses were so well trained that they didn't need anyone to steer the chariots- as soon as they were directed where to go, off they went. I could hear the cheering of the crowds outside and as I was district 12, I was the last to go out and had to watch all of the others go before me. The roar of the crowd was deafening.

My legs trembled as I clung to the front of the chariot, Blaire was shaking too even though her shoulders were straight and her chin was up. I picked at my outfit, the black bodysuit that pinched in uncomfortable places and showed everything I didn't want to show- including how skinny I was. Thanks stylists, way to help me get sponsors.

"And now district 12!" Caesar Flickerman's voice echoed from the speakers as the chariot exited through the gates and into the crowd lined streets. I was stiff and scared, I kept my eyes to the ground and, trying not to gasp, I squeezed my eyes closed.

I could hear cheering- the names of the tributes from 1 and 3- and it was already clear who were the favourites. They would get all the sponsorships, the help in the arena that could potentially be lifesaving for me or one of the other tributes.

We entered the City Circle- the end of the parade- after about 20 minutes of riding through the streets and listening to the yells. I kept my eyes shut tight almost the whole time because I knew if I looked up I would probably faint, but the weakling personality might work.

I really didn't have any hope I would survive the games, but if I just survived the Bloodbath then maybe I would have a chance. It was during the first few minutes that the careers teamed up and targeted the biggest threats to their victory, and if I appeared weak then I would maybe be left alone.

President Snow's voice boomed from above us-

"Welcome, tributes! We welcome you! We salute your courage- and your sacrifice and we wish you... happy Hunger Games! And may the odds... be ever in your favour."

The national anthem played and I kept my head bowed, almost falling backwards when the chariot jerked. The tributes did one last loop around the City Circle before we disappeared in the training centre- passing directly underneath President Snow as we did so.

The second the doors shut behind us the tribute chariots were ingulfed by their prep teams and stylists, being helped down and out of some ridiculous costumes. I was simply handed a warm sweater and was pushed towards the elevators that led to our rooms- district 12 was on the top floor.

I stripped out of the ridiculous jumpsuit, clambered into the shower and closed my eyes again. It was the first of three training days the next morning and I was terrified because although I had been around the other tributes just before, this was different.

I had no one else to work with because Blaire certainly didn't want to be around me, I was scared and completely alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The training began at 10 the next morning and after breakfast- where I stuffed myself full of the richest food I had ever tasted- there was a quick elevator ride down to the training centre. The number 12 was pinned to my back.

I join the circle of tributes, hanging out near the back, as a tall woman stepped up and began to explain the training schedule. There were stations all around the massive room, each of which had an expert in that field to teach us what to do. There were a couple of rules such as no fighting with other tributes and I planned to obey that anyway because I didn't want to be anywhere near them.

My heart sank as I looked around at the others because it was the first time we had been gathered together on the same level, in normal clothes. Almost all of the tributes were both bigger and taller than me, with a few exceptions- the boy from 11, the boy from 8 and the girls from 5, 8 and 10.

The second we were released I made a beeline for the survival stations, the ones that involved identifying plants, making knots, camouflage, fire starting and shelter building. I could see other tributes having their first shaky throwing knife lesson and in the corner I could see the girls from 1, 3 and 4 showing off. One girl had a bow and was hitting the target dead on every time, another had knives. I looked away and gulped, feeling sick.

I spent a few hours at the plants station and then the shelter station but just as I was moving over to learn about knots someone came up behind me.

"Hey... mind if I join you?" I jolted, startled because I hadn't expected anyone to talk to me. I looked up to see the face of the boy from district 5, who looked a little nervous but he had a smile on his face. He was completely alone.

"Yea-ah, I guess." I mumbled, hunching my shoulders as he sat down beside me. His quick fingers rapidly turned a length of rope into a neat knot and I looked away, struggling with the simple knot I was trying to replicate. These weren't my skills. I was good with a knife, a slingshot maybe, I could recognise plants and build a decent shelter if I tried. Fire starting, knots, hand to hand combat or heavy weaponry? Not so much.

"What's your name? I'm Preston." I glanced up, a little surprised he was still talking to me.

"It's Lachlan." I whispered, placing the rope on the floor. I knew I wasn't good at knots, but this was hopeless.

"Come here Lachlan, I'll help." He shuffled to sit beside me, picked the rope up and placed my hands on either end. He placed his hand over top of mine and then walked me through each step of tying the knot- "this hand goes over top of this one- now fold the end up this part- that's it!"

I blinked at the completed knot sitting in my hands, glancing up at the boy beside me. He was a couple of years older than me, maybe 16, and his cheeks were rounded- telling me that he had been reasonably well fed throughout his childhood. He was also taller than me by over an inch.

At lunch he invited me over to his table in the corner, ignoring the group of careers who were being very rowdy and laughing together in the centre of the room.

He wasn't alone anymore either.

Sitting with him was the boy from 9, one of the oldest tributes. He was picking at his food and he looked drawn out, he was bouncing his foot too. Preston tapped the table.

"Come sit with me. This is Rob by the way, I got to talking to him this morning." I looked between the two of them nervously but apprehensively sat down opposite them, with no idea what I wanted.

"What... what is this about?" I asked quietly, wincing as one of the careers laughed. Preston smiled.

"I want to talk about an alliance."