⫷Chapter 18⫸

Preston's P.O.V.

I opened the brown bag and sighed in relief at its content- a first aid kit, bandages and medication, but there was also another water bottle, a jacket to replace the one we had ripped up, a knife and several small bags of dried food. Rob had the other bag, the one that didn't actually belong to us, but we had yet to open it. Lachlan refused to let go of us long enough to look anyway, so we didn't try.

Once he loosened his grip and pretty much passed out, it was clear he hadn't slept while we were gone, Rob moved to grab the first aid kit and the bandages. The wound on Lachlan's leg was still oozing and in the three days since he had obtained it, it hadn't begun to heal at all. Rob winced when he saw the wound, going pale.

"Shit..." He sighed. "I'm just glad we got the supplies now."

As he began the process of wrapping up the wound Lachlan clung to me, whimpering in pain as the antiseptic cream, a medication to stop infection, touched his skin. He hissed and then buried his head in my chest, Rob giving an apologetic look that he didn't see. He stayed tense until his leg was wrapped up in a thick bandage.

There were a few moments of silence while Lachlan slowly relaxed, still lying on me. He looked flat out exhausted and after sharing a knowing look with Rob we silently decided to just stay for the rest of the day and night so he, and us, could catch up on lost sleep. Everyone was exhausted.

It was only a few minutes before Lachlan was asleep on top of me and Rob sighed, peeking his head up over the bushes to check our surroundings. We were still at the base of the cliff, completely hidden by the bushes that surrounded us, but we couldn't risk it. Rob sighed.

"I'm just... so glad we made it back." He mumbled, leaning against me. "I'm so glad we didn't leave him."

I glanced down at him, god he looked young. He was barely 14, that would have been his third year with his name in and he just had the bad luck to be drawn. Something suddenly occurred to me.

"Wait... didn't he get a ten? In the training?" Rob looked at me wide eyed.

"He did. I was meant to ask him about it but what with... everything I didn't really get the chance. What on earth could he have done to get that score?" We both looked at him.

I thought of the training equipment we had been using during training- weights, no, swords or axes or knives, probably not, knots or fire starting or shelter building, no, plants... that wouldn't warrant a ten.

"I don't know... maybe they saw something in him."

"Or they could have wanted to paint a target on his back." Rob mused.

"Well that hasn't worked if it was the case." We both shrugged and looked at him again.

What could he have done to get that score?

-----------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't until the next morning that we checked what was in the bag- everyone had slept like a log, we hadn't even bothered to put someone on watch. If someone came close we would know and honestly, Rob and I just wanted to sleep and would feel mean if we had to wake Lachlan up.

The bag was about the same size as the one that was intended for our little group and I wasn't at all surprised to find general supplies, food, water and weapons. A small first aid kit. The primary item was a sheath of arrows, telling us that one of them had a bow and both were likely uninjured if this was what they needed the most.

"Who was it meant for?" Lachlan asked, sitting up. He was looking much better than he had the night before, more awake and more alert, especially on a full stomach.

"The boys from 8 and 11, the really small ones." He nodded, thinking back to remember their faces. "They're probably doing alright if they didn't show up, they'd have to be desperate to do that."

About 10 o'clock we decided to get on the move again, Lachlan supported between us to make sure he didn't topple. He winced every time he stepped on his bad leg but there was no complaining, he just leaned on us on occasion and let us choose where we went.

The forest seemed to go on for miles and miles, it never seemed to end and after a while- at least 4 hours- we just decided to call it quits. We found our new base among a clump of willow trees, the sweeping branches providing perfect cover for us and Lachlan audibly sighed in relief when Rob spotted a nook in a trees roots- just big enough for three people.

It was when we were settled that I decided to go for it- asking the question that had been on my mind since last night.

"Lachlan, how did you get your score?"

He looked surprised that I had even asked and paused for a moment, clearly trying to think. He was red though, Rob and I both looking at him.

"I'm... not entirely sure, I don't think what I did deserved a ten.-"

"So what did you do?" I interrupted, earning a look from Rob. "Sorry."

"Doesn't matter. I did my thing with the plants but while I was identifying them I was... explaining the effects of them on the human body. About how hemlock causes respiratory failure, how symptoms of nightlock poisoning don't normally kick in for 6 to 12 hours, how lily of the valley causes disorientation and sudden changes in heart rhythm. About how some plants that are deadly can be mistaken for parsnip or parsley."

Rob and I shared another look, not knowing how deadly his knowledge was. He pointed over our shoulders.

"That tree there's an english yew, deadly poisonous if you ingest anything from it." We turned to look at the tree- completely unassuming with little red fruits or flowers hanging from it. "The knowledge wasn't really important at home but if I ever went beyond the fence then... it would have been."

He didn't say anything more after that, completely clamming up and looking away from Rob and I. We stared at each other for a moment because I understood why he had received such a high score- it made him seem ruthless, ready to kill, like his knowledge was going to make him a killer. They had gotten that completely wrong.

I gently squeezed his shoulder even as he sat facing away from us, silently reassuring him that it was alright.

"Lachlan, look at me." He did as I asked, even though he was still looking partially at the ground. "It's alright. Just... think about now. We're here, you're here and we're still alive."

I reached over and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear, which earned a soft smile.

"We're still here."