⫷Chapter 7⫸

Simon's P.O.V.

Throughout the training I had noticed a boy, one of the oldest tributes, the boy from 3, with his eyes on me. Me, him, two of the youngest male tributes and one of the girls were the only ones without a solid group formed which could potentially become an alliance later, when we got into the arena, and it made me nervous.

He approached me on the last day of training, mere minutes before our private sessions with the gamemakers. I hadn't noticed him having any particular skills throughout training that he knew already but he picked up a lot fast, especially the more memory and intelligence based things.

"Allies?" He asked quietly, aware of the other tributes in the same room. I blinked at him, too strtled to answer. "Joshua Bradley." The dreary voice called over the speakers- signalling it was his turn. "Just... give me an answer before the interviews, alright?"

I nodded, and that was that. A mere day before the games were to begin I had a potential ally, and I was going to take it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I gave him my answer as we stood below the stage, listening to Flickerman entertaining the rowdy crowd. Everyone was a little nervous, dressed up in their finest that basically embodied what sort of personality they were going for to charm everyone. The career girls were going the seductive route, as they did most years.

Amongst the other tributes I could see some interesting choices. Most of the girls weren't that memorable, a big flashy dress that made them appear either cute or sexy- the stylists had no imagination because it was the same thing year after year. The two people I noticed the most, however, were the tributes from 7.

It was now well known among us that one of them was born a girl but identified as male, explaining why there were two boys from that district, but it seemed there was something else as well because they were both matching. Identical suits and ties, hair styled the same why, standing so close it looked they were attached. I could see what they were going for.

I quickly eyed the boys from 11 and 12, the ones whose scores had been the biggest surprise to everyone. Both look unassuming, simple suit with nothing special. Attempting to stay out of the limelight I supposed, although that angle was a little ruined now considering their scores.

I gave them one last look before darting around the girl from my district, tugging on Josh's arm. I didn't say anything, I didn't have to. All I did was nod and he got my message- we were allies now and if we survived the bloodbath then we would try and team up any way we could.

He gave me a nod of thanks in return as tributes started to be called up for interviews, and I returned to my place. There were only a few people going ahead of me so it wasn't long before I was up- my hands shaking. I watched Josh's interview on the small screen just above our heads as he went for the intelligence route, the quiet but smart kid who had reasonable physical strength and who was determined to win. It was a good way to play, but nothing that made him stand out.

When I went up on stage my entire body shook but I stood up straight, striding to my chair beside Flickerman. I wanted to go the stoic but shy route, something I didn't see much but something I knew that charmed. The careers took up the sexy or monstrous or silent route, so I couldn't take up any of them without seeming like I was coping them

My mouth was dry and my voice was deeper than normal but I managed to answer his questions, earning some laughs. I dug my nails into my hand. The 3 minutes I had on stage went painfully slow and I just wanted it all to be over, even if it meant the next day I would be in the arena.

My eyes followed the other tributes as they went up onto the stage one by one, their personalities showing through. The boy from 5 was bright and bubbly, the boys from 7 were shy but they were clearly playing up the fact that they were friends, both tributes from 8 barely lifted their heads. The boy from 10 had a piercing gaze.

When they got to the boys from 11 and 12 I listened closely, curious as to what they had done to get such high scores. Josh and I had both scored 9's but still, they were both so young that it was a massive surprise.

"So, what did you do to get that nine?" Flickerman asked, holding the mic out to the dark skinned boy, where he was sitting hunched in his chair. He looked petrified.

"I- I don't... I don't know if I can talk about it." He whispered, his voice barely reaching the audience. They were craning forward to hear him, he was clearly a favourite because of his score even though he was tiny- but the boy from 12 got even more attention.

The audience screamed as he walked onto the stage and he visibly flinched, raising his hands up a bit as if to cover his ears. Caesar laughed, completely ignoring the boy and his posture, his wide eyes and his seeming inability to speak because of fear. I felt sorry for him- his score had painted a target on his back. I would be surprised if he made it through the bloodbath.

"Now, what everyone wants to know- how? Your score is one of the highest, especially for someone your age, you're 14 are you not?" He nodded mutely. "So, how'd you do it? You must have some skill that the gamemakers liked!"

He gave another wide eyed look but he couldn't say anything- he was completely frozen.

"A little shy? That's alright!" Caesar bellowed, making him wince even more. "We can encourage him, can't we?"

The crowd roared and he closed his eyes, visibly trembling. Across the room I made eye contact with Josh and he glanced up the television where it showed the boy.

It occurred to me suddenly that I shouldn't feel sorry for him, because I might have to kill him. He was enemy- in fact the only person I should be thinking about or even getting to know was Josh because chance were, both of us wouldn't survive until the end. If I made it, I probably wouldn't have to kill him.

I shook my head and turned my attention away from the boy on screen. He looked so young and vulnerable and he shouldn't be there- no! I berated myself. Don't think of him. Don't think of him or the boy from 11 or the two boys from 7 who were best friends or the bright boy from 5- don't think of any of them.

They were my enemies. They could kill me or potentially, I would have to kill them.

I didn't want to know them.