✔︎ 10

Things felt different once being face to face with one another

Behind a screen, Jisung felt a lot more comfortable complimenting and joking around with Heeju, and she thought it was easier to tease him when she wasn't looking him in the face.

Jisung's mind was consumed with building up the courage to tell Heeju how much he liked the food. When they finished eating, and Heeju stood up to put their used dishes away, he asked, "Did you cook?"

Good one. I couldn't just tell her it was good? God, this is so embarrassing. 

She glanced at him from over her shoulder and smiled, taking his plate and putting it in the sink for him. "I did, but I had some help from my grandma. So if anything was burnt, it's her doing," She whispered the last part like it was gossip, causing Jisung to suppress a smile. 

Heeju noticed that he liked to cover his mouth when he smiled, as if seeing it was like hearing some sort of secret. And if he wasn't covering his smile, his lips pressed into a frown to try and hide it. She wished he wouldn't. 

"Oh- it wasn't burnt at all. It was really good."

There, finally. It wasn't that hard to say.

Heeju thanked him and motioned for him to follow her out of the kitchen, but not before being asked just where she thought she was going with a boy.

"I'm just gonna show him around," Heeju replied to her grandmother hurriedly, feeling like a child being caught doing something they shouldn't have.

With only a sly grin in response, Heeju gave Jisung a look of assurance that they could continue on with the house tour. She led him directly across the hall to the living room where she had been sitting before his arrival, stopping at the glass coffee table where her phone was.

"This is the main living room, I hide my snacks under the side table between these two couches so my grandma wont steal them," She laughed at her own scheming before continuing on with the tour.

Jisung noted how few decorations there were in the house. The walls were mostly empty, and so were the tables. Every once in a while he'd see a picture framed, not recognizing anyone as Heeju in the photos.

She continued leading him through the house. Contrary to his belief, it was small and quite humble. "Further over there is a separate dining room when many people come over for dinner, but it's not important."

"Do you cook for them too?" Jisung asked half mindedly, paying more attention to how spotless every surface was. 

Heeju nodded in response to his innocent question, soon leading him down the hallway and pointing out which rooms were closets, which were bathrooms, and her grandmother's bedroom (which should never be entered), until finally moving up the stairs to the second floor.

The second floor immediately opened up more than the first, windows covering the walls, allowing natural light to flood in. It was mostly empty other than a television hung on one wall, and a console table underneath it. 

"This is the secondary living room, I guess." But Heeju used this room as her personal get away from her grandmother every once in a while, because she hated using the stairs. The entire second floor was more or less Heeju's, not that there was anything more than her bedroom up there anyways.

Jisung stood by a window, noticing the sun beginning to set. Heeju caught him staring outside, half of his face painted in the oranges of the skies. He glanced at her for a moment, feeling her gaze, but she only cleared her throat and offered to show him the rest of the house.

It was almost pitch black and she moved down the hall, he followed a distance behind her, not wanting to be too close and accidentally bump into her or something. She skipped her bathroom door to her right, heading straight ahead.

Since the sun wasn't completely set yet, she didn't want to waste electricity by turning on a light, leaving them in the dark until she opened her bedroom door. The blinding light of the setting sun exploded their visions briefly, her originally pink walls becoming hazier.

The only reason she was comfortable showing her bedroom in the first place was because she had taken extra measures when cleaning it, and mostly because her grandmother had scolded her beforehand anyways.

Jisung stood in the middle of her bedroom for a second, allowing himself to take a short look at everything. She had a simple bedroom, her bed to the right of the entrance and a desk to the left of the bed.

There was a set of closet doors on the left wall, nothing very special about them but Jisung wondered if she had one of those huge walk-in closets like in the movies.

"You can sit on my bed or the desk chair if you want, you don't have to just stand there," Heeju teased at how awkwardly he had been standing in the middle of her room. Her sight followed where his eyes had been staring, realizing what he had been looking at. "That's just my closet, there isn't a lot inside though,"

She opened the doors for him, revealing what was probably a 1x2 closet space, a few jackets hung up inside. Jisung took a seat at the desk chair and watched as Heeju walked back to sit next to him on her bed.

He made an effort to not feel awkward in the little silent moments they had, deciding to look at her bedsheets instead. Then he realized that she didn't really have bedsheets at all, just a fitted sheet over her mattress and one big fluffy blanket.

Furrowing his brows at the sight, he wondered if that was all she had. "Do you use this every night?" He asked, fiddling the blanket material between his fingers.

"Uh... yeah? What am I supposed to use?" She said through a laugh, wondering what he was thinking.

"Like, for every season? Don't you get hot with this?" Jisung questioned. It wasn't that serious to him, but he was the type to get hot very easily in his sleep, known to throw off his sheets in the middle of the night at times.

"If it's hot, I just don't use a blanket." Jisung stared at her in awe, wondering how she could sleep without needing to feel covered. 

Heeju giggled at his expression, not quite sure what he was getting at but finding it endearing anyways. "Now I guess we could do whatever you want," She shrugged and laid back onto one of her two. Both were oddly flat.

Jisung raised an eyebrow and pursed his lips in thought, "Whatever I want?"