Confessions

Milis rests her head on her husband’s shoulder. The two sit on the balcony in their room, overlooking the front of the palace. There, they watch Neamh and Alex walk together hand in hand. Their daughter laughs and leans into her prince as the wind captures her hair. Alex runs a hand through her red locks and captures her lips in his.

            Milis smiles at the two and turns away from them, pulling her husband with her. Eric squeezes her hand and offers her a smile. He knows what she’s thinking- Milis is easier to read than a book. She loves how happy her daughter is with her betrothed and wonders if Amharach would’ve been happy with his. This thought leads to whether he’s happy at all, wherever he is.

            The king captures Milis against him and kisses her cheek in order to ease her thoughts. She smiles at him and wipes a stray tear from her cheek as the doorbell rings. Ignoring the sound, Milis rests her head in his chest.

            “What if we never find him?” Her voice is barely above a whisper. Milis’ green eyes find her husband’s and smiles down at her.

            “We will,” he assures her. “He’s out there somewhere and we’ll find him.”

            The door to their room is opened and Eric tenses at the intrusion. A young maid curtsies in apology and folds her hands in front of her uniform.

            “Pardon the intrusion, Your Majesties. A General Brandon from Sahara would like to have a word.”

            Eric nods her dismissal and follows his wife down the stairs to where General Brandon stands with his hat in his hands. He bows low to the royals and straightens to give them the exciting news.

            “Your Majesties,” the General clears his throat. “I believe I’ve found your son.”

***

            Abernathy’s eyes fly open and he’s painfully aware of a warm body close to his. Sun streaks through the blinds of a nearby window allowing Aber to see the piles of clothes littered around him. They flow into the room from the hallway, one article after another. He sits up in the soft bed and rests a calloused hand on his aching head. A breeze drifts in from another window bringing goose bumps to his arms.

            The farmer takes in his surroundings, quickly realizing that none of this seems familiar. His heart begins to race as he looks at the body beside him. Blonde hair tumbles in waves onto the white pillows around a pale face. The figure rolls over sleepily exposing her bare chest and flat stomach. Mary mumbles his name sleepily before catching a pillow into her arms and snoring softly.

            Abernathy leaps from the bed and pulls on his pants. His mind is racing and his heart pounds against his ribcage. Disbelief clouds his features and instantly his princess’ face fills his head. Her smile fades as he mentally tells her of his infidelity. Tears fall down her cheeks and she covers her beautiful face with her hands in shock.

            Aber closes his eyes, trying to erase the picture that he knows will become a reality. He doesn’t want to tell her. He doesn’t want to see the look on her face if he tells her. He doesn’t want her to know. He doesn’t want to lose her. But if he doesn’t come clean, she’ll find out one way or another and then how would she feel?

            With a frustrated sigh, Aber grabs his shirt from the floor and walks out of the house. Quickly finding a pay phone, he calls her palace. The butler answers and Aber runs a hand through his hair, still contemplating whether or not to do this. Before he loses his nerve, Aber asks to be directed to Bellezza’s private line. When he reaches her voice mail, Aber sighs and confesses. As he hangs up the phone, the aching in his chest returns. If he hadn’t lost her before this, he’s lost her now.