Tainted

Bellezza hangs on desperately to her fiancée’s hand as the priest goes on and on about their wedding. She has the fight the urge to roll her eyes. Hearing the monologue again is about as stimulating as the first time she heard it. When the old man is finally silent, Belle is on the verge of unconsciousness. With her head on Aber’s shoulder she unknowingly lets out a soft snore. Aber shakes her awake and she struggles to stand upright. Her face is bright red when the priest marches off into the confinements of his office. She looks up at Aber sheepishly.

            “Was I too loud?” She asks, squeezing his hand for reassurance.

            The new prince chuckles and pulls her against him. “You were a little loud.” At her blushing face, he kisses her cheeks and lifts her chin to see her eyes. “But it was cute.”

            She laughs and falls in step beside him as they walk back to the palace. A comfortable silence fills the air and Belle takes this time to really look at the man she is to marry. Since becoming a prince, Abernathy has a different air about him. He no longer is shy when speaking to someone like her father or mother. He doesn’t stutter like he used to or be overcome with nervousness. This new Abernathy is a lot more comfortable with himself and others. He also has a new authority. He doesn’t take orders from someone unless it’s from his father or his bride-to-be.

            What surprises Bellezza the most is that he’s still the same hardworking, boyishly handsome farm boy she fell in love with. He won’t let servants carry his things if he is around to do it himself. He hates for doors to be opened or closed for him. And he cannot stand being called ‘You’re Highness’. He is still sweet and caring and this fact alone is enough for Bellezza to fall even more in love with him.

            Noticing her staring, Aber tugs her closer to him and gives her a bright smile. As the stone palace Aber has learned to call home begins to enlarge, Bellezza suddenly feels a sense of dread. Instinctively, she looks in the direction of the sea, looking for her castle. Knowing that her home is too far away, she swallows her homesickness and looks at Aber.

            “Have you thought about where you want to stay?” She asks after a minute of silence.

            The boy’s brows furrow. “What do you mean, ‘stay’?”

            “I mean after we get married. Where do want to stay?” Her prince is still confused so she elaborates. “Once we are wed, you have to decide where you want to rule. I don’t have a say because I will be your queen wherever you decide. You could stay here and rule as your father’s successor; it’s tradition. Or you could move to Sahara and rule as my father’s successor. Although that kind of arrangement is rare, it is possible.” She bites her lip, not daring to say more.

            A part of her wants to persuade her prince to move to Sahara. Her parents don’t have successor besides her and if Aber decides to stay, Vita and Richard will have to pass the crown to one of her cousins, ruining the Johnson bloodline that has been residing on the Saharan throne before the dawn of time. If they move to Sahara, Bellezza can take her place as queen with Aber by her side and in Liam, Nicolas, Aber’s younger brother, will take the throne after his father. The latter of the two seems to be the best decision and Belle almost wants to mention that to her fiancée. But the other part of her wants this to be his choice. She will follow him anywhere even if it means never seeing Sahara again.

            Aber looks down at Bellezza who is still nervously biting her lip and playing the hem of her skirt. Smiling, he squeezes her hand, bringing his princess out of her thoughts.

            “Where would you like to stay?” He asks her curiously. He already knows the answer; that much is obvious. But he wants to hear her say it- say that she wants to stay where she’s always been, where she is destined to be.