Reconciliation Part I

Bellezza leans against the doorframe of the guest bedroom and watches Jacovee slowly begin to pack his things. She crosses her arms over her chest and clears her throat to gain his attention. The Neosha prince’s head snaps up and he gives the princess a sheepish smile.

“What can I do for you, princess?” He asks, standing from his seated position on the floor.

“You don’t have to go, you know,” she says slowly, resting her head on the doorframe. Her thick locks fall into her eyes but she doesn’t bother to move them. “You can stay for a few nights, if you want.”

Jacovee chuckles and approaches his ex bride-to-be. His warm hand brushes against her cheek as he moves the daring strands of hair from her eyes. His smile warms her heart and the princess suddenly feels guilty. The prince had come to marry her and his affection was obvious. Part of her wishes that Abernathy hadn’t showed up, then maybe Jacovee wouldn’t have to leave with the sad eyes that he is trying desperately to hide from her.

“My mother and father are waiting for me back home,” Jacovee shrugs one shoulder and rests his hands on her arms. “I wish I could stay, but you know how it is.” The prince releases her with a sad smile and turns back to his bags.

He zips up the last suitcase and grabs the handle. As he walks toward the door, Bellezza moves out of his way.

“I’m sorry, Jacovee,” she says as he begins to descend the steps. He looks back up at her and gives her one of his famous smiles.

“I’m sorry too, princess. You would’ve made an amazing Neoshan queen.” Jacovee completes the stairs makes a hasty exit through the palace doors.

Bellezza doesn’t move until she can no longer hear the squeal of tires against the gravel pathway. Her lip slides into her mouth and she unconsciously nibbles on it while playing with a strand of hair. So many emotions cloud her thoughts. She’s upset that Jacovee had to leave but relieved at the same time- now she won’t have to marry someone she doesn’t love. But couldn’t she have learned to love Jacovee? He was sweet and caring, not to mention, a great prince.

We could’ve been happy, eventually.

And then there’s Aber.

He cheated on me but the thought of us expressing our love in front of friends and family brings a smile to my face.

After taking a deep breath, Bellezza descends the stairs and sits in front of her piano. Closing her eyes, she rests her fingers on the familiar keys and plays. In her mind’s eye she can see her future.

An older version of herself stands in the throne room in front of hundreds of guests. The priest places a large golden crown on her head. With a smile, Bellezza sits on the throne that so many of kings and queens have sat in before her. Something warms her hand and she looks beside her. Aber sits in the throne next to hers. A crown is on his head and smile is on face. Dressed in typical Saharan robes, his blonde hair is combed back and blue eyes sparkle in the light. Abernathy suddenly looks down at her future self and his smile widens. Bellezza follows his gaze to her swollen belly. Unconsciously, her hand finds the bulge and warm smile rests on her face as the baby kicks. She looks at Aber and he kisses her hand.

Her eyes snap open and the notes stop abruptly. Her breathing is labored and sweat beads on her brown. Slowly, Bellezza slides her trembling fingers off the piano keys and her shoulders slump. Tentatively, she touches her flat stomach.

It had felt so real.

Eyes wide with shock and confusion, she stands on shaky legs to lie down. Her knees give out but before her head can hit the floor, familiar arms wrap around her waist, holding her up. Her eyes find his and Aber gives her a worried look. He picks her up, bridal style, and carries her to the nearby couch. Resting her head against the armrest, Aber positions her body so that she’s comfortable. When he finally meets her eyes, he kneels beside the couch and worry clouds his eyes.