p r o l o g u e

"You understand why you have to do this, right?"

No.

I wanted to say.

I understood nothing. Absolutely nothing. None of this made sense to me. But then again, it doesn't matter what I thought about their tests. I'm just the extra variable they needed because some—possibly flare infected—psychologists decided it. Decided my fate. And besides, they were becoming...desperate. And I wouldn't want to be the reason for the downfall of humanity. At least they were trying to save it.

I realized I haven't replied so I nodded my head.

"I'm sorry you had to do this, Sanza." She sighed and shook her head. "I really am."

And in that moment I was hit with a pang of guilt. I started to regret being distant to her these past few weeks. I know she needed to do this. Life comes with sacrifice, even if it would be your own daughter.

"Mum, don't cry." I reached out towards her. "This'll be over soon, you'll have the information you need for the cure and then we'll be together again. Don't worry."

Lies.

Those were all lies. But then again, I guess living with WICKED all your life rubs off on you. Lying was as easy as breathing for them, and I picked up a few of their tricks along the way.

She took a deep breath. "You're right." She gave me a pained smile. "I'm sorry. It's just hard to see you go."

"Come on." I laughed halfheartedly. "You're saying that as if you'll never see me again."

And I may never will; only time can tell. A voice from the deepest part of my mind whispered. But I ignored it and took a deep breath. "Mom?"

"Yes, Sanza?"

I looked up and met her stare pleadingly. "Make Thomas remember."

"Sanza—"

"He needs to remember. He needs to trust me." I said before she could disagree further. "Then the others will follow his lead."

She pursed her red lips, looking away from me and thinking deeply. She then cleared her throat. "Very well, I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you." I involuntarily let out a sigh of relief.

I wanted to hug her but the tension was thick in the air and a brick wall of emotions, secrets and unsaid words were dividing us from doing so. I looked into her pain filled eyes and saw myself; scared, anxious and lost.

"It's time to get in the Box, Sanza." She subtly wiped her eyes and looked at the door.

I jumped off the gurney I was sitting on and dusted myself off, mentally preparing myself for what was about to come. I took one deep breath before advancing to the door. It opened and I was led to a circular white room with the Box right in the middle of it, a broad tunnel was above it, leading to the Glade and my fate. As I entered, four doctors did as well, who I suspected were responsible for sending me to the Maze. I sent them an inconspicuous glare. They should burn in hell for what they did to the kids in the Glade and what they're about to do to me.

Their faces showed no remorse whatsoever as I lowered myself into the Box. It looked old and gritty compared to the white room I was currently in. I stood with my head up as my own mother joins the line of doctors.

"The first thing you're instructed to do after you've arrived and settled your disoriented mind is to run." A doctor handed her a clipboard. "Run straight into the Maze." She read from it. "You know what to do after that."

I nodded in understanding, ignoring the itch to ask why.

"Sanza, you have to make sure you'll be able to do this task properly because there aren't any second chances or redoes." A doctor with half of his face hidden behind a surgical mask spoke. "And since we can't have control over you as our variable, this is the only thing we ask of you now."

"I will, doctor." I said affirmatively. He nodded in response.

It was actually nice seeing these scientists, doctors, psychologists and whatever else they were, bite their nails figuratively in anticipation because they had no control of the situation. They had no control over me. It made me feel like I was in power. That's also why I had to be extremely careful of my actions and responses because thousands of sane people's minds were in my hands and they were dwindling by the minute. They thought that this was the perfect time to send me up. Everything was so close to falling apart and so was Thomas to finding a way out.

"Goodbye, Sanza."

Two metal grill doors closed from above me, sealing me inside the Box. It was then that a wave of nausea hit me. This was it. I closed my eyes as I heard the engines start to warm up for my ascent. The sounds became louder by the second.

"WICKED is good."

Those were the last words I heard before the Box shot up the tunnel unexpectedly, the force sending me to the bottom of the Box. The rattling of chains and the mechanical sound of engines filled the enclosed tight space, leaving my chest heaving as the Box kept going up. It was beyond uncomfortable and I honestly wanted to cry, to beg for WICKED to take me back but I held it in and sucked it up. I had to be strong. WICKED could've easily chosen any other teenager from the hundreds of safe cities left all around the world, but for some reason they chose me. And besides, I'll be seeing Thomas again. I guess that's a bit of consolation.

I took a deep, shaky breath to calm all my nerves. I got the feeling that it wasn't going to help. Just in time, the lights glowed from red to green and a siren blared, signaling I had arrived. I scrambled towards the corner of the Box and pulled my feet against my chest, hoping to look as vulnerable as possible.

I could hear faint masculine voices above me. They were taking an awfully long time in opening the Box. I was tempted to do it myself when the doors finally swung open in a mix of screeching metal. Silence flooded the atmosphere and I held my breath as someone jumped down from above.

"It's another girl."