s i x

the scientist // coldplay

The door leading to the outside burst open. My head snapped in that direction but I wished it hadn't because blinding light shone through the exit, hurting my eyes. I saw black silhouettes of men armed with guns and for some reason that didn't cause me any fear at all, if anything, it caused comfort.

Thomas's cries were drowned out by their heavy footsteps. The armed men got to us in no time, they ushered us hurriedly out of there, one man harshly pulled me off the ground and I didn't protest. They seemed to know what they were doing.

Thomas was a different story.

"Chuck!" His cries bounced off the walls of the short hallway leading outside. I was being guided through it but I purposely slowed my pace. Thomas didn't want to leave Chuck's body but these men had other plans. Two of them lifted Thomas off of Chuck, he fought against them but it was no use. The man guiding me pushed me a little, as if to say that I needed to hurry up. I stopped looking at Thomas and concentrated on where we were heading.

Outside.

Once my feet touched the dry dirt, the intense heat hit me like ton of bricks. It was like running through a preheated oven but I couldn't complain, I've experienced worse and now wasn't the time for thinking about it.

Thomas had stopped fighting and now was also running. I slowed down so he could catch up. I held his hand and sprinted to the helicopter that was waiting. The others were already inside and they helped us get on. The helicopter's door closed shut.

"You guys alright?" A man asked through the noise of the propellers. "Don't worry, you're safe now."

I sat up between Newt and Thomas as we lifted off. Everyone suddenly looked over the window to our side and I followed. It showed the Maze. I could only imagine how they felt after being locked in there for three years and now they were looking down at their prison.

"You're rescued." The man spoke again. "Everything's gonna change."

Beside me was Newt with a mix of emotions on his face. Mostly relief, some pain and some confusion. I had never seen someone so strong yet looked broken and lost.

"Newt?" I said and his slightly bloodshot eyes met mine. "Thank you for everything."

He gave me a half smile that showed me more things than he let on. "You're welcome."

My adrenaline was fading and I found my head spinning faster than the helicopter's propellers. It hurt so much. I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes.