f o u r

I stood over Thomas's still unconscious body. I had just woken up and I found myself eager to get out of this pit. I heard voices coming from outside. I recognized it as Newt, Minho and Chuck.

"Why'd you put us in here?" I turned to them. "You guys know better than to follow what Gally says."

"Whoa there, we don't even know if we can trust you." Newt said. "I don't think it's in your place to tell us what we should be doing."

"Regardless!" I pursed my lips and sighed. I knew this was bound to happen.

"Thomas?" Teresa said, drawing my attention back to Thomas. His eyes fluttered open and he just stared at the ceiling for a moment. If the changing worked right on him then he had remembered whatever they had allowed him to but I knew how it worked. His memories will fade soon. And I'm not even sure WICKED gave him the right ones.

"Thomas, are you okay?" I gently asked.

He sat up slowly, his eyes never leaving mine. "Sanza." He leaned forward and hugged me, taking me by surprise. "How could I have ever forgotten you?"

I hugged him back. "It's not your fault, Tommy." My eyes teared up at the possibility that I might get my best friend back but I still knew it was too early to tell.

"Wait, who the hell is she?" Minho cut in, eyes switching from me to Thomas.

"I'm not sure, really." Thomas broke our embrace and I held my breath. "But I know she's important to me." He gave me a small smile.

"Well then..." Minho raised his eyebrows at me. "Welcome to the family...?" he added sarcastically.

I snorted. "Thanks."

"Why the hell would you do that?" Chuck asked Thomas in a demanding tone as he stood by the door, diverting all attention to him.

"What happened?" Thomas asked.

"Gally's taken control." Newt answered bitterly. "He said we had a choice, either join him or get banished at sundown with you."

So that's why.

"And the others agreed to that?" Thomas sighed.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason why all of this has happened." Teresa explained.

Thomas's eyes stayed on me. "Well, he's been right so far."

Minho tilted his head side wards. "What are you talking about?"

"This place," Thomas started. "Is not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids, they'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us." He looked up. "And then people started disappearing, one after the other like clockwork."

"They sent them up into the Maze." Newt confirmed.

I stayed silent the whole time.

"Yeah but not all of us." Thomas partly agreed.

"What'd you mean?" Newt asked, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"I'm one of them." He declared. "The people who put you here, I worked with them. I've been watching you guys for years, the entire time you've been here, I was on the other side of it."

"I saw you." He said to Teresa.

"What?" She looked like she didn't believe it.

"Teresa we did this to them." His eyes motioned to the three Gladers outside.