20

Divit stared at his mobile phone as it continued vibrating on his bed. He got up from his study table, placed his laptop aside, and looked at the caller. It was his brother.

With a different kind of sparkle in his eyes, Divit picked up the call. "Bro! What's up?" Milind chirped from the other side.

Divit glanced at the clock on the opposite wall. It was past eleven at night. "Just the usual! Tell me about you."

"What about me? I am also good," Milind fidgeted on the other side as he spoke.

"And how are Mom and Dad?" Divit inquired further.

"Yeah, they are good! Bro, actually, I wanted your help," Milind said.

Divit sighed, knowing his little brother was up to something. "Yeah, go on. What is it?"

"Can you urgently send me ten thousand?" Milind asked.

"Why? I submitted your fees a month back, right? And as far as I know, you're at home these days. Why don't you ask Mom?" Divit questioned.

"Bro, please, no?" Milind almost begged.

This slightly alerted Divit. "Milind, are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, Bro... It's nothing like that! I'll tell you later, but please send me the money," Milind pleaded.

Scratching his head, Divit stared at the ceiling and sighed, "Okay, fine. I'll deposit it in your account tomorrow."

"No, not tomorrow! I need it today, please," Milind insisted.

"Milind, what's going on? You're at home, right?" Divit pressed.

"Yes, Bro, but please, I'm requesting you," Milind persisted.

Divit couldn't seem to make a decision at the moment. After contemplating for a few minutes, he reluctantly agreed, "Okay, fine. Give me fifteen minutes."

"Thanks, bro! You're the best," Milind replied, and before Divit could finish his sentence, Milind hung up the phone.

_________________________

Avanti stared at her email inbox in extreme disappointment. There was still no email for any tuition or gadget repair. Disheartened, she threw her phone on the bed and lay down, turning off the small bedside lamp.

The whole day had passed in an extremely regular and boring way. It was all so plain. The day started with the office and ended with it as well. Things between both of them hadn't really changed overnight, nor had they developed. Although Divit expected her to ignore him completely after last night, he somewhat hoped for it internally, but nothing of that sort happened. Avanti did wish him good morning and even cooked his breakfast as a payback for the dinner, but she wasn't her usual chirpy self with him anymore. She avoided him like a plague, and Divit couldn't help but feel relieved. He felt at ease.

Unfolding the blanket, Avanti draped it over herself and sat up, crossing her legs. Taking an unread novel from her bag, she started reading when she heard the doorbell ring.

Avanti blinked. Maybe it was just her ears.

The doorbell rang again, and she straightened up, checking the time. Half an hour more, and it would be a new day. Who could it be at this time?

Leaving the blanket behind, she took her phone and walked out. The doorbell rang again, and Avanti quickened her steps. For a moment, her eyes drifted to the adjacent door, which remained closed. Maybe he was asleep. But wasn't it early? Maybe she should wake him up!

She immediately dismissed the idea when the door suddenly opened, and Divit came out, just as surprised and confused as she was.

"Who is it?" he asked her.