53

"Milind, hold it from that corner," Avanti instructed from the other side as she started to drop the string lights down the railing. It was Choti Diwali, and after lunch, the three of them had climbed up to decorate with lights. Divit was busy joining the plugs, while Avanti and Milind untangled the lights and aligned them.

"Bhai, the third one isn't illuminating," Milind said, bending down to unplug it and then plugging it in the other way. "Now it's working," he declared, but the light turned off the next moment.

"Wait." Divit dropped the electric tape and walked over to Milind, holding a matchstick. Bending down, he fixed the plug properly by inserting the matchstick into the empty space on the board.

Avanti took another string of lights and climbed onto a stool to fix them on the top floor. As the stool shook, Divit rushed to help hold it steady. "What's the rush? Milind and I have it under control," he questioned.

"So?" Avanti snapped, standing on her toes and securing the light onto the iron nail.

"Everyone should work within their reach," Divit replied, avoiding eye contact with her.

Milind stifled a laugh, finding the scene amusing.

"In that case, you should quit your job and start cleaning fans instead," Avanti retorted in a hushed tone. "Besides, the view comes in handy."

Jumping down from the stool, she winked at him. Divit tried to keep a straight face but closed his eyes as he heard Milind laugh.

"What?" Divit turned to his brother.

"Nothing," Milind feigned innocence. "But she's got a point." He winked at Avanti.

Avanti winked back. "Your brother seems smart, unlike you," she teased Divit.

"I'll show you just how smart I am tonight. Until then, have fun," Divit murmured huskily, leaning close to her ear, leaving her wanting more.

As Milind faked a cough, Divit ignored him and walked away, heading down the stairs.

In the kitchen, Gayatri was working while Divit came downstairs. He walked to the fridge, took out a bottle of water, and sat in front of the counter on a stool.

"What's cooking?" Divit asked Gayatri, taking a large sip from the bottle.

"Gujiya and mathri," Gayatri replied, kneading the dough with gentle hands.

Divit nodded, sliding out his phone to check his mailbox.

"She seems like a nice girl," Gayatri initiated after a few minutes, as she mixed the filling for the gujiya.

As the topic caught his attention, Divit put his phone away and looked up at his mother. "You like her?" he asked hopefully.

"It's too early to say, but she seems nice. She's pretty, educated, and active. It also appears that she comes from a good background, so..."

Divit smiled. "I'm glad you like her, Mom."

"Not yet," Gayatri replied, placing another pan on the stove to prepare tea. "But I'm trying. Does her family know?"

"Know about what?"

"About the two of you, of course."

"Well," Divit paused, staring at her for a moment before speaking up. "Her father passed away when she was young, and her mother also passed away a few years ago. Although she has a sister, I'm not sure if she knows the details."

"So, she's on her own?" Gayatri asked in surprise, as she mixed a glass of milk while the tea leaves boiled.

"Yes," Divit nodded.