Chapter 11

Ruby stared out the window of the train. She and Sev were in the compartment, the door locked with several different spells to keep out the Marauders, who were also going home.

Many of the Slytherins were going home for family parties that were held every year. Narcissa and Lucius were staying at Hogwarts, but neither seemed bothered by it. The Slytherins who were going home didn't look too happy about it, except for Amaris.

Their compartment was full, Ruby next to the window with Severus next to her, and one of Narcissa's roommates, Athena Carrow, although she preferred Jana, next to him. Regulus sat across from Ruby, Amaris next to him and Rabastan next to her.

Ruby was fairly sure they were dreading it, and she understood why. Amaris, on the other hand, looked ecstatic, although she tried to hide it.

"So what are your plans for Christmas?" Jana asked. Ruby hadn't seen her often. She vaguely remembered seeing her in a sorceress costume for halloween, but the girl always kept to herself. Ruby hadn't heard her speak before.

"My parents are having another Christmas party this year." Regulus said.

"We're having a pack- uh, family reunion. It's gonna be huge." Amaris smiled.

"Everyone here knows you're a werewolf, Greyback." Rabastan rolled his eyes.

"Right. We're having a big reunion for the full moon. The pack's been spread all over the place lately, but we're all getting together for the full moon."

"Wouldn't that be dangerous? Like wouldn't you tear each other apart?"

"We're a pack. It happens occasionally, but not often, and it's usually because someone challenged someone they shouldn't have."

"What about you, Stan?" Regulus asked. "Another party?"

"Thankfully no. Rodolphus is marrying your cousin in the spring, and my parents are too busy helping him to host one."

"My parents are having a party as well, but it's not for Christmas. It's because my older siblings are joining the Dark Lord." She rolled her eyes. "They're not even trying to hide it, so if the Ministry shows up, I'll probably be showing up at one of your houses, and I'll probably paint 'I told you so' on the wall of the ballroom." Rabastan laughed so hard he nearly fell onto the floor of the compartment. "What are you two doing during vacation?"

"I'm working. Sev is staying at home so the Marauders won't bother him."

"You know they're going home too, right?"

"Yes, but we didn't know that until it was time to go. Besides, we've always spend Christmas together. It's actually like the one nice night of the year, because our father spends the whole night at the bar."

"What about your mother?"

"She's dead." Ruby said shortly.

"Sorry."

"It's nothing. It was years ago."

"It's probably nice to be alone. At least home is safe." Ruby couldn't disagree, and remained silent.

"I think that's got to be the nicest thing about Slytherin." Amaris decided.

"What?" Rabastan asked, confused. "That we're all abused?"

"No!" She scoffed. "That we know each other's dark secrets, but we don't really care."

"I think you're right." Ruby smiled. "I know I'm in Gryffindor, but Slytherin's different. Maybe it's just because I'm always here, but I know that in Gryffindor, they do care about their dark secrets. I think they've got their own, but they hide them."