Chapter 38

Really, it could have been worse. Significantly worse, Ruby realized, as she healed the numerous burns of all degrees on her skin. They stung a bit, before disappearing, blisters and the black and blood of the third degree burns gone without a trace.

At least the castle had been virtually empty, only a few people seeing. Jana had said she could keep them quiet. Ruby was smart enough not to ask how.

That was the odd thing about Jana. As much as the girl seemed charismatic and open, there was clearly more under the surface. Much more. It wasn't overly obvious, the Slytherin being far too smart and cunning not to be good at hiding it, but there were the smallest hints, the way she glared at Wren with the smallest traces of envy, how Amaris commented on seeing her at a Death Eater meeting, even though it wouldn't be normal for Jana, who was still underage, to be a Death Eater, how what should have caused a wildfire of rumors remained silent.

Still, some things were better left alone.

Ruby had succeeded in burning several inches of her hair off, so it was noticeably shorter now. When Narcissa asked, she said it was getting a bit too long for her taste.

Jana had started teaching her several breathing exercises, and was trying to explain to Ruby how to compartmentalize in case of emergency. It wasn't working well. Thankfully, there was nothing left in the forest to burn, so the fire really couldn't hurt anyone.

In for 5 seconds. Out for 5. In. Out. Calm seemed always just out of reach.

Ruby had received several notes from Dumbledore requesting her to allow him to train her with her magic. She'd burned all five in her palms, glaring at the old twinkly-eyed man as she did so.

Sirius wasn't ignoring her. They sat together in Potions, and did their homework together. Sirius had even explained several plans to get Severus and Wren together, albeit rather dumb and over-complicated plans, but still plans.

Wren stopped Ruby on the way to Astronomy a few days after the fire.

"I can help with the magic." Ruby glanced around the dark hall, before turning to the shorter girl.

"Really?" She asked quietly, voice barely above a whisper.

"She doesn't need your help." A hand grabbed Ruby's arm, pulling her away. Jana scowled at Wren. "She's got me."

"You don't have the kind of power, Carrow." The shorter blonde snapped. "You can't help her. You don't know how."

"Of course I do. I've helped her this far, haven't I?"

"And look how well that's going? She burned down half of the Forbidden Forest."

"It was an accident and a relapse. You should know those happen. You can't help her. You've had your father controlling your magic your entire life." Ruby just kind of stood there awkwardly. This fight barely concerned her.

"Pan does not control my magic." Wren spat. "Like you're any better. You're the Dark Lord's heir."

"Exactly. I've been training my entire life. Just because she's got a bit more magic than me doesn't mean I can't train her. At least I know what I'm doing!" Neither girl was really making an effort to keep quiet, but thankfully the halls were empty.

Ruby was thankful that Sev wasn't here. She wasn't sure if this would trigger a flashback for him or not. There was barely any yelling in Spinner's End, since their father had always been more physical with the abuse, but there were a few rare occasions when Ruby had to fight back, and there was yelling then.

Nyctophobia - Sirius BlackOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara