Chapter 26

"Hold on. I can fix this." Ruby sighed, sitting next to Sirius. She had managed to wipe away a lot of the blood, making it easier to see the damage. He winced when she reset his broken nose. She healed him quickly, at he sat up, wiping away a drop of blood from his nose.

"Thanks." Ruby smiled, moving away the hair that had plastered to his face. "Madam Pomfrey doesn't know you're in here, so you can leave as soon as your ready.

"No potions." He shuddered at the thought.

"Now, I think you two should work things out." Sirius and Severus exchanged glances, almost physically cringing. Ruby sent the two a challenging glance, daring them to disagree with her.

"Fine." The two grumbled, crossing their arms childishly. She smirked victoriously and dragged them to an empty classroom, not wanting to risk running into Madam Pomfrey. She pushed the two into the classroom, and sat down outside the door.

"Uh..." Sirius pushed his hair out of his face awkwardly.

"I am not sorry." Severus hissed, glaring at him. Sirius suddenly realized Sev was two inches taller than him. He just looked down. Normally he would have been angry by now, throwing hexes at him, but things weren't normal right now. He hadn't really realized how much had changed. He didn't know everything could change so much in so little time.

He didn't know why he didn't fight back. Maybe he was just too broken to put himself back together.

"I don't care why you're hanging around Ruby, but I want you to leave her alone." Sirius shook his head.

"No."

"That wasn't a question. Leave my sister alone. She doesn't need you hanging around." Severus snarled.

"It's not going to happen, Snape."

"You nearly killed her!" Severus said, grabbing his collar and holding him against the wall.

"I know that!" Sirius exclaimed, pushing him away. "and I'm sorry it happened. It was an accident."

"Well you still hurt her." Severus growled. "Sorry doesn't cut it. She's almost all I have."

"At least you still have your friends." Sirius grumbled, glaring at him, although he lacked the usual spirit. "Yours actually care."

"What?" Severus froze.

"I said, at least you still have your friends. They actually know what happens to you!"

"The marauders still don't know you're abused, do they." Severus smirked a little, taking a step back.

"They don't need to know that. They don't even care anymore."

"Lupin seems to."

"He's got enough to worry about. I can take care of myself."

"Do they know you've been disowned?" He seemed genuinely curious to know the answer. Sirius just shook his head. "Have you told anyone? Is it just the Slytherins who know?" Sirius nodded.

"And Ruby."

"It's almost sad how much you trust them." Severus sneered. Sirius glared back half-heartedly.

"Can we just call a truce or something?" Sirius asked, sighing. Severus grumbled but reluctantly agreed.

"Fine, but I still hate you."

"That's fine." Sirius stuck his hand out, and Severus shook it.

Ruby grinned when they exited the classroom, still scowling.