Chapter 16

Madam Pomfrey nearly shrieked when the twins entered the Hospital Wing. She put Ruby into a bed immediately, and insisted that she shouldn't be able to walk. Ruby guessed she had Wren to thank for that.

It took a while for Madam Pomfrey to understand what happened since Ruby and Severus were finishing each other's sentences in their haste. Madam Pomfrey managed to give Ruby one potion before she gave in to the darkness.

Ruby knew she was horribly injured, but didn't realize the extent of it until she woke up. She nearly screamed from the pain, and immediately stopped moving. She panicked when she didn't see her twin, and searched for the link with her magic, only to remember that she had severed it.

Unable to find her brother, Ruby focused on healing her injuries so she could go find him. She jumped up, ignoring the pain as soon as the injuries were no longer fatal. She looked around the Hospital Wing first, hoping he might be there, but there was only Lupin, which made sense now that she knew. Amaris was nowhere to be seen, but since she spent the full moons running around the Forbidden Forest, and not locked in a room by herself, that made sense too.

Satisfied he wasn't in the Hospital Wing, she went to the Slytherin common room. It seemed to be the middle of the night, as the common room was empty. Severus wasn't in his dorm. She checked the kitchens and the potions classroom, but he wasn't there either. She decided to ask Headmaster Dumbledore if he knew where Severus was.

She ran to his office, and rattled off the name of any candy that she could think of. The gargoyle stepped aside after she said sugar quill. She threw the door open, gasping for breath.

"Headmaster have you seen..." She was surprised to see Severus along with the Marauders sitting across from Dumbledore.

It was a strange situation. Dumbledore's eye wasn't twinkling, and for once the man didn't look even remotely happy. The Marauders, who always seemed to get along so well, were separated. Potter glared at Black whose gaze wouldn't lift from the floor, and Lupin looked rather betrayed. Pettigrew was the only one who looked normal; he always did look out of place among his significantly taller friends. Severus looked both extremely worried and furious.

She immediately hugged her twin tightly despite the pain that radiated from every single part of her body. "Oh, I'm so glad you're okay." She said, re-linking their magic again. "I was so worried when I woke up and you weren't there, and I was afraid something had happened and I wasn't there, or that you were actually injured after last night and I didn't manage to heal it. I'm so glad you're safe."

"Ruby! You're supposed to be in the Hospital Wing! You were attacked by a werewolf!"

"It's nothing. I'm fine, really. I'm up, walking, and it doesn't even hurt that bad. Besides, we both know I don't get better until I am positively sure you're okay."

"You're literally still bleeding." He sighed.

"Yeah, whatever. Bleeding doesn't mean not okay. I wasn't even bitten either."

"You haven't even checked yet." He crossed his arms.

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do."

"Well, you're right, but I know I wasn't, because if I was infected I would feel the venom. Which I don't. And don't you dare say that I might not feel it because I'm still bleeding. We both know I'm perfectly capable of diagnosing myself."

"I'm glad you're not bitten."

"Me too. Although if I was, it wouldn't be too bad. I think I'd still be able to protect you."