Chapter 33: The Son Of Poseidon Fulfills His Promise To Death

Prophecy:

There will be six at the beginning and at the end.

One will be enemy and one will be friend.

A choice be made; heart or mind.

The lover's ears be deaf and eyes be blind.

Misleading will he try to thee.

For much is the Pit God's unease.

For an ancient god will pave.

A looming final path: destroy or save.

Chapter 32:

Percy watched Nico stare at him with shock, the son of Hades looking at him with a mixture of emotions in his midnight black eyes. He knew that Nico couldn't fathom why we would give up his life for him, for even he himself didn't understand why it was more painful to watch Nico fulfill the prophecy and die then for him to take his place.

"Hades had sent the monster for me." Percy explained to him, gritting his teeth at the pain seared through his muscles, turning to lead. "He needed me to be between life and death in order to talk to me in person."

"I-what?!" Nico sputtered, not being able to comprehend that its was his father that made Percy almost die.

Percy sighed, not having any energy to go into more detail. He sagged, sinking onto his knees, forcing Nico to fall onto his as well. Staring into the son of Hades’s star-like depths, his mind flashed back to the very event that had made him do this...

“I want you to die in my son’s place.” Hades stated bluntly, dark eyes piercing the son of Poseidon's.

Percy looked at the god with confusion in his sea-green eyes, his famous fish-brain look on his face as his gears in his head turned slowly. Just dying seconds ago didn’t help the son of Poseidon soak in the information well at all. The way Nico had looked as he sank into unconsciousness haunted him so much that his mind was a cloud. “What do you mean.” How could Nico be in danger?! ‘I can protect him!’ His mind screamed, his heart thumping loudly in agreement.

Hades sighed, rubbing his temples with his pale fingers. “The Fates had informed me that my only living son is the seventh member of the quest.” He stalled a little, looking like it was taking everything in him to say the next words. “I can’t let him die yet, he...deserves a chance at happiness.”

Percy thought back to the two years he had spent trying to make Nico happy, forcing him to train the campers along his side. He felt anger course through his veins at the god’s words. “What do you mean Nico isn’t happy?” Percy asked, voice filled with outrage. He felt uncontrollable anger course through him, surprising himself at the amount of rage making him want to punch Hades for that accusation. “I made him happy! I’m the one who helped him back on his feet and finally become accepted in camp! Why shouldn't he be happy?!”

Hades just looked at the demigod for second, finally realizing that Percy didn’t have a single clue about Nico’s crush on him. “Have you not spoken to Cupid, demigod? Didn't he tell you why Nico has been suffering, why the goddess of misery herself said he was perfect already?"

Percy didn't know what to say. 'The goddess of Misery said he was perfect? How?!' His mind yelled with confusion, his head throbbing. This was way too much information for him to process. "What do you mean? I told you that Nico's better now!" But as he thought about it, he realized Hades was right. Nico would never truly be accepted in camp half-blood.

"Percy." Hades looked at him with a hint of desperation in his eyes, startling the older demigod. "Nico is my only living son. Help him. Please."

"I..." Percy didn't want to die, but if it was to save his ghost king...

"I know this is a lot to ask." Hades looked uncomfortable, not used to begging to get what he needed. He looked at the ground, clearly embarrassed. "But if you really care about my son, this is the best way to help him."

Taking a deep breath in, the older demigod knew that the god of death was right. He couldn't fail Nico ever again, and he promised that he'd show him that he cares with all his heart. So he said the words that sealed the deal:

"I'll do it."

With that event in mind, he knew what he needed to say to the younger demigod. "I made a promise Nico." Percy panted, looking into the eyes that meant everything to him, eyes that filled his thoughts at all times and stubbornly never let him go. "I told you that I'd prove to you that I care."

"Not by killing yourself you big kelphead!" Nico yelled at him, throwing his hands in air in annoyance as his eyes filled with tears of frustration.

Percy laughed. "You are too cute." He said, which in return made him receive a scary death glare from a very pissed of Nico di Angelo.

"Not the time Percy." Nico snapped.

Or at least he would have if Percy didn't scream in agony as a short blade poked out of his stomach, red seeping into the orange t-shirt.

"Percy!" Running up to Percy, Nico held him as best as he could, taking some of the impossible weight of the sky onto his shoulders as well. Feeling his world fall apart, he didn't notice the ache in his muscles as he held he sky more and more, gladly reveling in the pain. Not hearing the two demigods fighting in the background, The son of Hades's eyes darkened at the sight of Percy's blood dripping onto the ground, his vision becoming tinged with red as he watched Percy grow weaker and weaker. "Don't you dare die Jackson, I won't let you." He growled at him.

"...Nico." Percy said, stroking his face as Nico trembled with the weight of the sky. "I'm...I'm so sorry."

"You leaving me." Nico said, realization dawning on his face as the fact hit him hard. He was going to be alone again. The person that he cared about most was going to make him live without him.

"I don't want to." Percy assured him, heart squeezing with sadness. The son of Poseidon didn't want to go, not while Nico wanted him here. "Trust me, if there was any other way I would live. But there isn't Nico. I have to die."

"Then let me die in your place!" Nico screamed at him. "I can't lose you."

"Yes you can. You're the strongest person I know." Percy told him, having more and more trouble not crying. He felt his organs begin to fail, not being able to speak anymore.

"Percy!!" Nico sobbed, grief engulfing him. He stared at the ground, shaking as he craved for revenge. 'I'm going to kill whoever did this.' Nico promised in his mind.

But before he could finish his thoughts for revenge, a cold blade presse at his throat, making him look up to see the last person he ever thought would murder Percy Jackson looking down at him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I would like to let you all know that we have reached the climax of the story. In other words, chapters will probably be shorter but uploaded quicker. This story is coming to a close very soon, so be prepared for an awesomely fabulous ending. I'm so excited to write the ending chapter, its going to be fantastic to write!xD

 Oh and note that I didn't say that Percy is dead...

QUESTION: Who do you think stabbed Percy?