Chapter 44: Nevermore

Darkness was all that could be seen. It swallowed the vision whole, preventing any source of light to flicker past the human eye.

Then there was a light.

A thin streak of moonlight shone into the cabin, stark white against the overpowering darkness of the room. The wooden walls still glowed a healthy pure black, the rich carvings giving it the usual feel of a room in an ancient mansion. The same elaborately decorated black furniture added to the feel of fanciness. A queen sized bed sat proudly next to a black nightstand. A fireplace made with black iron continued to burn a ghostly green, the only source of light in the cabin. The moonlight came in from the black doors that stood ajar, the new light casting strange dark shapes all over the walls and furniture. Even though the cabin seemed haunted with its dark and ancient looks, not a single soul was in that cabin. Dust clung to the furniture, a musky and earthy smell inhabited the place like before. The same door creaked and groaned, the wind inching it forwards and backwards.

The darkest corner of the cabin rippled as a figure stepped out of the shadows. The teen sagged with exhaustion, eyes drooping from fatigue. He stumbled towards the bed and sank his head into the earthy-smelling pillows. Not bothering to kick off his grimy shoes, the guy closed his eyes.

He couldn’t sleep even if his life depended on it.

The teen rolled onto his back, staring up into the dark ceiling. Sadness dug into him like razor-sharp claws, refusing to loosen its hold.

Memories flickered through his mind at lightning speed, flashing through its routine. A older boy’s see green eyes sparkled, glittering as he stared into the sun on a warm summer day. A joyful laughter rang in the teen’s ears as if he was practically there, smiling and reaching out towards Annabeth. It was the usual that plagued the younger boy, the memories of Percy the happiest he ever saw him: without him.

It was those memories that prevented him from running up to the Son of Poseidon and proclaiming his love right then and there.

‘The journey was all a dream Nico.’ The boy thought to himself with frustration boiling in his veins like molten lava. ‘It was this and nothing f**king more, so get over it!’

That’s when more recent memories started to go through his head.

Nico remembered how Percy’s eyes were looking at Cupid with cold hate, for the older demigod had snapped and blood bended the god of love to choke himself. The once sparkling sea-green orbs that had once been filled with happiness and life had been dead, raw  emotions Nico never wanted him to feel except himself consuming the son of Poseidon. Nico remembered the way he trusted him with all his being, them fighting side by side as equals. They looked out for each other the whole time, both Percy and Nico willing to give their lives for each other. Nico remebered his teasing, calling him 'Ghost Princess' and his hugs, how they filled him with such contentment that he didn't want to move for a million years. 

Percy tried to show him the truth. He understood now, as he watched the shadows of his ceiling grow weaker as dawn broke, his eyes opening as the son of Hades finally realized the stupid, real truth:

It didn't matter anymore. Percy could know and Nico betted all the souls in the underworld that he wouldn't abandon him.

The Percy Jackson Cupid had tried to show Nico when he gave him his worst nightmares yet didn’t exist. The journey wasn’t a false hope to cling to. Why?

Because Nico remembered that Percy looked as scared as he was to lose him when the journey ended.

As the the summer morning rays of the sun entered the once dark cabin, Nico felt the weight on his shoulders disappear forevermore. He set out to find his love at long last with a peace of heart.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Guess what? Did you know this is the LAST chapter I will write in Nico's POV? Yes I'm crying too. AND Yes, I realize its a HUGE shocker not having the prophecy in front of the chapter. But this mini chapter is special, for I have come to a major conclusion:

There will be only one more chapter after this. Then a prelude. And that will be it.

No sequel.

No one shots.

Nothing. Period.

Let's see if I'll be a troll and leave a nice fat cliffhanger at the very end, shall we?;)