twenty-two

i just wanna say thank y'all for 300 votes & reaching 10k reads! ily

   "I don't think you should be sitting that close." The man—I'd learned his name was Sam, I'd know him a little while before SHIELD collapsed, according to Steve—warned me.

   I roll my eyes before sending him a glare. "He's not a wild animal. He'll—He'll be fine when he wakes up." I squatted next to Bucky's unconscious figure, glancing at him every few minutes for a sign of him waking up.

   After a few more moments, Steve had left to check around the building we were in, leaving Sam and I with Bucky. I'd seen a small movement from the corner of my eye. Bucky began to lift his head up and I sat back onto a bucket I'd grabbed from a corner of the room.

   His hair fell in his face as he looked up and to where Sam and Steve had pinned his metal arm down with two large pieces of machinery that was left in the structure, despite my wishes.

   "Hey, Cap." Sam called out, noticing him wake up.

   "Hey it's me, you feel okay?" I ask quietly, making Bucky turn his head to me. He gives me a soft nod along with a confused glance, most likely about our presence outside of captivity. His gaze gives me a new sense of comfort and familiarity that makes me relax a bit more in the situation than before.

   Before I could explain, footsteps echoed out and got closer to us. Steve appeared in the doorway where Sam stood. "Steve." Bucky let out, sounding out his name as a statement rather than a question.

   Steve had put on a face I'd come to realize must've been his 'I'm a soldier' look. "Which Bucky am I talking to?"

   "It's him." I try to verify, but he just sends me a glance saying he wanted to hear from Buck himself.

   His blue eyes flit to the ground for a moment before looking back up. "You're mom's name was Sarah." The words are hoarse and then he stops for a moment, as if to gather his thoughts. A small smile tugs at the corners of his mouth while a chuckle forms in the back of his throat. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes."

   "Can't read that in a museum." Steve tries to mask the small grin that pulls at his lips as he shrugs off his facade from a few moments before.

   "Just like that we're supposed to be cool?" Sam speaks up, a skeptical look in his eyes.

   Bucky's eyebrows pull together. "What did I do?"

   "Enough." Steve answers.

   Bucky sighs, disappointment clouding over his demeanor. "Oh, God. I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." I gulp at the mention of the book. I should've found it and destroyed it when I had the chance at the holding facility.

   "Did he get to you?" Bucky's words make me look to him and shake my head.

   "No. I got out of my cell and found Steve before he could get me." I explain, causing him to let out a sigh of relief.

   "Who was he?" Steve asks.

   "I don't—" I cut Bucky off, making everyone look to me.