thirty-one

"Are you sure this is what you want?"

It had been a week since I had that horrible vision, and in that time, Bucky had told Steve and I that he wanted to go back under. At first, I was reluctant to the idea, but I knew that I needed to respect what he wanted. If he felt that this was the best and safest option for him and others, then I wanted it for him.

"I can't trust my own mind. So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing for everybody," Bucky explained, a small smile on his face.

We had talked about if I wanted to go under as well, but after hearing my story, Shuri said it may be completely different since I was there all throughout my childhood. We decided that as long as that book didn't surface again, I would be okay and if it ever became a current problem, she would help.

They had taken off Bucky's metal arm and I could tell how good it made him feel to be letting go of such a bad part of his past. I was happy for him, he deserved to get better and be at peace with himself.

"Can you give us a second?" Bucky looked to Steve who nodded, a small smile on his face as he left.

"You gonna be okay?" He asked, making the corner of my mouth turn up as I stepped closer to him.

I shrug, placing my arms around his shoulders. "Separation anxiety's a thing, but I think I can manage," I joke, making him chuckle. "I think I'll go up to Asgard for a while, see what I've missed and maybe get some answers. Any souvenir requests?"

He laughs and shakes his head, placing his hand on my waist. "No. Just make sure you get back in one piece. If not, then when all this is over," he pauses tentatively. "I might not be able to take you out on a real date."

A smile comes to my face quickly with his words, my heart beats a bit faster along with it. "Now I've got to make it back, don't I?" I grin, leaning closer to him. "I'm looking forward to it."

He pulls my waist closer and presses his lips to mine; a goodbye kiss of sorts. The kiss is sweet and refreshing, but only lasting a few seconds. We pull away and rest our foreheads together.

James' blue eyes pour into mine. "You'll be here when I wake up?"

I nod lightly, giving him a soft, reassuring smile. "Of course."

• • •

"Thank you, for everything. It means a lot," I thank T'Challa and Shuri, giving both a nod.

"No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing you again," Shuri comments.

"And . . . I'm sorry about your father. What happened in Vienna should've never happened." I give my condolences, and T'Challa thanks me.

"Both of them were victims. If I can help one of them find peace . . ." he trails off. "Just know, you're always welcome here."

He sticks out his hand and I do the same, grasping his forearm as a sign of thanks and respect. I repeat the gesture with Shuri, giving the girl a smile. Her brother leaves and I expect her to do the same, but she stays. I quirk an eyebrow in confusion.

"I've read about the Bifrost and read Jane Foster's reports on the events when they first happened," she explains and I let out a small laugh.

"Alright, just stand back unless you wanna go with me." The younger girl smiled and quickly pressed something on her wrist, bringing up a holographic recording screen. "Ready?" I ask and she nods. "Alright." I close my eyes and focus.

"Heimdall, bring me home."