Chapter 1.

Adeline's POV:

Day two million and seventy five of this stupid job. This is all I can think about as I listen to the woman screaming about her latte that is 'too hot' for her. You know what, you precious peach? I thought to myself, the world is full of shit way worse than that latte. I bet we'd all be better off if you drank that shit until your tongue shriveled up. 

Her tangent continued full volume while I kept up my sass i my head. What came out of my mouth, however, was honey sweet. Tantrums, opinions of any kind, were for people that could afford them. They weren't for people like me... I couldn't even afford to breathe let alone sass this entitled chick. I signed very cautious that she wouldn't notice. 

"Ma'am, I'd be happy to remake your latte at a kid's temp for you if you'd like." That was it, my one and only line of defense. I was ready for her.

"I AM NOT A KID!" she yelled at a volume that was beyond inappropriate for anyone above that age of five. What I wouldn't give to act just like her out days.

"I realize that ma'am." Even though you're acting like one, I thought before continuing. "We made your latte to our standard temperature. The alternative would be to take the temperature down to a kid's temp." Although, by now, I bet that latte in your hand is already cold bitch.

I couldn't let any sass slip though. I had to maintain composure. Drinks had started backing up on bar, I needed her to wrap this tantrum up real fast. She wouldn't let it die though so, of course, I made an excuse to leave. I'll have to thank Nessa later for taking over with the psycho. I walked off to continue making drinks.

The truth is, sometimes awful customers are a nice distraction. It's when things are slow around here that my mind wanders and I remember my heart hurts. Not now Ad. I think to myself as I continue to bar. After work, maybe before bed, then you can be sad.

That was a joke, of course. after work I had to pack up the apartment. I couldn't afford it anymore, no matter how hard I tried. After he died, the bills just kept piling up. I remember just a year ago being so excited that we'd found a place. I remember the arguments about budgets and responsibilities. I remember the fight we were in when we got hit, when he died. 

Suddenly my eye welled up with tears. Latte bitch was gone but the store wasn't empty. I swiped at my face as nonchalantly as I could. I couldn't lose it here, I'd never recover.Only a few more minutes Ad. I tried to calm myself down as quietly as possible.

Sure enough, the clock struck the proverbial midnight and my pumpkin carriage came to take me back to the apartment that was no longer mine, in a carriage that was no carriage at all. My feet moved to the sidewalk on autopilot. The bus wasn't far from work at all and I didn't much mind the stroll. Sometimes, it was kind of nice to imagine where the cars were headed, who was in them. I'd often wonder if their lives met expectations or not. 

While I was lost in thought, I felt a car slow near me. I'd recognize that truck anywhere though. I smiled up at the store's regular. jace was a personal favorite of mine even before I met my late husband. As he rolled down his window I couldn't help my surprise that he recognized me.

"Hey sunshine" He said as he pulled up to the curb. He'd always had a nickname for everyone at the store. Jace was handsome. He was the rugged, work hard handsome with brown wavy hair and perfect green eyes. He had just enough wear on his face to keep him from being too perfect. Because of this, I never gave his attention much thought.

"It's cloudy today Jace" I retorted, letting a little truth hang in my play on words. He rubbed his hand down his face with a sigh.

"I know it is Addy. Seems like it has been for a long time. You hungry? Come give me company for a bit." Jace seemed to have a hint of concern in his voice but I couldn't say yes to him. Regardless of how long i've known him, it wouldn't be appropriate. 

He must've seen my thoughts written across my face. "Nope, get in the car Adeline, you need to eat." It wasn't an invitation, it was a demand. I got in.