Chapter 15

Ty leads the others upstairs, to Dr. Laghari's room. She stops dead in her tracks directly outside the door, a shiver running up her spine at the voices inside. "Owen's in there," she whispers to Es.

"I'm pretty sure she's a Caera, Ty. She's tied up. She can't do anything." The two share a look before Es finally opens the door, turning the knob with a sigh while Ty ignites a few of her fingertips. When the wooden panel swings wide, it reveals Owen sitting next to Dr. Laghari, her bag removed. Owen is in the process of untying her bonds. "Owen! What are you doing?" Es calls, rushing over to them.

"She was being controlled by those people," he answers. "She doesn't even remember doing any of it. She shouldn't be locked up like an animal."

Ty turns to Dr. Laghari, her eyes burning with hatred. The entirety of her left arm erupts into flame. "Kidnapping him wasn't enough? You had to manipulate him too?"

Mouth agape, Es quickly turns back to Owen. "How about you go back to your room? We'll take care of things here, alright?"

Clearly in awe of the display of raw power, Owen can do nothing more than nod. He turns without complaint, moving out of the room to sit down on the bed he'd claimed earlier. With the child out of the way, Es turns to Dr. Laghari with the same fury.

"I didn't do anything! I swear! It was all those -- those people in the cloaks!"

"You really expect us to believe--" Ty starts, but is cut off by Nes. She's paler than usual, her complexion lacking it's usual dusting of bronze. She leans against the door frame, a few steps behind her friends.

"How did they control you?"

The other girls' heads whip around to face her. "What?" Ty asks. "You can't be serious! You believe her?"

Nes doesn't answer, her cool blue eyes trained on Dr. Laghari's dark brown ones. She continues staring at her until she finally answers. "I-- I don't know. I don't remember anything."

"What is the last thing you do remember, then?"

Dr. Laghari's eyes widen a little more, though Es is the only one who catches it. "I was in Manchester. I'd been working at a hospital there, in the psych ward. I remember walking home." She bites her lip, the beginnings of tears forming in her eyes. "I don't think I ever made it home that night."

"This is bullshit," Ty says, her fist beginning to clench and open. Es places a calming hand on her shoulder, though she frowns, clearly thinking the same.

"Do you have family? Or friends? Why didn't your boss come looking for you?" Eira asks.

"Maybe they did. New Hampshire's a big place, it's possible they just gave up looking." Dr. Laghari looks down at the ropes tying her up. "Can you please untie me now? I swear I won't do anything. I'm just a doctor."

Nes takes a deep breath. "Let her go, Three."

"Like hell I'm gonna do that." Es turns her scrutinizing look on her friend. "You're not thinking straight."

"Cenn. Let her go. I am not going to ask again." Nes raises a hand to her temple as she speaks, her head clearly bothering her.

"Why don't we talk to Sam and then decide?" Eira asks. "If you guys are so sure you can get the truth out of people, we should be able to figure out if the Adda really were controlling her, right?"

"She's right." The fire is gone from Ty's eyes as she gives Nes a pitying look, continuing to speak. "Do you want us to go first? I know you two were close--" Before Ty can even finish her thought, Nes is walking into the hall, opening Sam's door. "Or not." Throwing a glare over her shoulder, Ty motions for the other girls to follow her.