Chapter 1: A Birthday

"Wren? Wren!" cried a voice at my bedroom door. I groaned and rolled onto my stomach.

"What the hell, Charlie!" I yelled at my cousin before checking what time it was on my phone. "It's 6AM!" I shouted at him.

"And your birthday!" came the annoyed response. I sat up quickly. Seriously? It was my birthday?

I whipped out my phone again and looked at the date. July 11th.

I lunged off my bed and wrenched open the bedroom door. "I'm 16!" I shouted in my cousins face happily. Charlie winced before smiling back at me. "Why are you not more excited?" I shouted as I  jumped up and down and slapped his arm. He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Of course i'm excited, Wren, because I showed up at your house at 6 AM," he raised his arms and rolled his eyes again. "You live across the street," I reminded him before his head got too big.

"Mom!" I yelled enthusiastically down the hall. A small head poked out from the bedroom next to mine. "Happy birthday Wren, but can you shut up?" Lucien asked sleepily.

I bounded over to my brothers side and hit him on the arm playfully. "Sure, bro," I said after ruffling up the eight year olds jet black hair. He looked up at me with warm brown eyes. "Hey!" Lucien complained. I laughed. "Okay bud, i'll let you sleep,"

Lucien bobbed his head with a tired; "Mmhm," before disappearing back in his room.

"Mom!" I called again, quieter this time.

"I'm in here, Wren," a voice said from the kitchen. With a grin I grabbed Charlie's arm and dragged him after me down the stairs and into the kitchen.

A woman in her late forties with honey blond hair that none of her children had inherited sat at the dining table, coffee mug in one hand, phone in the other. "Happy birthday, babe," Chloe Decker smiled. I plopped down into the seat beside her and wrapped my arms around my mother. My hand bumped on the badge that rested over her hip and I had to hold in a sigh. Chloe was still a detective, so she could get hurt, shot or killed at any moment.

And so could her children.

I knew that Trixie had been kidnapped and also held at gunpoint, and I also knew that Lucien, or me, or even Charlie could be gunned down at any moment. But that wasn't going o stop my mom from doing what she loved.

"I know it's your birthday, honey, but can you and Charlie run down to your dads nightclub later today?" Chloe asked. "He's been at work all night and I need him home."

I nodded and grinned again. Visiting Lux was always fun, especially when I was allowed to. I scratched at my nose ring and said, "We'll stop by after we go see your parents and Auntie Maze, right, Charlie?" I turned my head to my best friend. Charlie nodded and linked his arms with me.

"You guys aren't gonna have breakfast?" Chloe asked as we stood up.

"Not hungry," Charlie and I said at the same time. Chloe chuckled. "Alright, you two, have fun, but not too much fun!" she called after us and we ran out the door.

As we entered Charlie's house across the street I immediately noticed Amenadiel wasn't there. Maze was, though, so I ran right into her arms, earning a small oof  from her. We broke apart and she studied me at arms length, her eyes skimming over my long jet black hair with lilac tips, my light blue eyes that were so much like my mother's, and my many piercings. She scrunched up her nose, than said; "You lost weight,"

I doubled over with laughter. "Wow, thanks, Maze!" I said loudly, causing Charlie's mom to look from around the corner. "Wren!" Linda cried happily. I ran past Maze and wrapped my arms around Linda. Charlie silently joined me and Linda hugged her son too.