Chapter 3: A Truth

Wren POV

"Fine," he said quietly. "We'll stay, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna regret this.."

I slapped my cousins arm. "Shush, I'm trying to listen!" I held a finger to my lips. Charlie rolled his eyes and sat down silently, his back against the bar. I took a quick risk and glanced over the top of out hiding spot- to see Lucifer heading straight towards us. I sat back down quickly, my heart in my throat.

"How did Algruthus get away, brother?" Lucifer's voice suddenly said from above them. Charlie and I both jumped and I curled into a tight ball, hoping my father wouldn't see Charlies long legs or the lilac tips in my hair. While Charlie was listening to whatever indistinct conversation the adults were having, I fervently braided my hair and curled it up into a braided bun, sticking a few of my emergency bobby pins to keep it from falling.

"Is this really the time to do your hair, Wren?" Charlie hissed. I clapped a hand over his mouth as Amenadiel said; "Did you hear that?"

I silently cursed Charlie, but then Lucifer cut in. "It was probably nothing," he said airily. I smiled despite myself. My dad was coming to my rescue, even when he didn't know it.

"Hmm. Well, I think we need to discuss Wren," Amenadiel said sternly.  I felt my ears perked up a bit as I strained to hear exactly what they were saying.

"Wren? Why do you say that, brother?" Lucifer said after a pause. 

"She needs to know-"

"I've told her!"

"But you know she doesn't believe you," my uncle said flatly. 

My head was spinning from confusion. What did I not believe? I peeked over the top of the bar to watch. Lucifer was pacing, drink in hand muttering something I couldn't hear. Swearing, maybe? Amenadiel was watching him with a pained look on his face- either because he felt bad or because of the growing lump on the side of his bald head. 

"You must show her, Luci," Amenadiel said gently.

Suddenly Lucifer threw himself at Amenadiel and in that moment, his eyes turned red.

"She is my daughter, and it is my wish that she doesn't know," Lucifer growled angrily at his brother.

I meant to sink back down to the ground, but I hit my head on the underside of the bar and yelped out in pain. In an instant, my father was at my side. 

"Wren," Lucifer said in a low voice. Amenadiel leaned down and grabbed his sons arm, pulling him up. "Father, I-" Charlie began, but Amenadiel raised a hand in his direction. "Lets go, Charlie. Let Lucifer and your cousin have a talk." Amenadiel said sternly before steering his son into the elevator. Charlie threw one last look over his shoulder, and I saw what looked like fear in his eyes.

I gulped and looked up at my father. Our eyes met, and we seemed to enter some kind of silent staring contest. I blinked first, of course.

My father picked up his drink from where he had sat it down on the bar and went out to the balcony. After a moment, I figured it was safe and went to join him. 

"How much did you hear- or see, rather?" Lucifer asked in a surprisingly faint voice. I risked a another glance up at him. His black hair was getting ruffled up by the wind, and he kept his eyes on a random building below us. 

"Um, all of it.." I answered quietly. 

"Right," Lucifer said, straightening up suddenly. I jumped back from the edge of the balcony, by instinct. Lucifer gave me a strange knowing look, as if he'd been here before.

"You look an awful lot like your mother, Wren," he said, cocking his head slightly. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion. "I know for a fact that I look a lot more like you," I fired back playfully. 

"Ah, yes, but.." he trailed off, the corners of his mouth twitching a little.

"So, what were we doing, again?" I asked, playing with a stray lock of curly black hair.

"Do you trust me?" Lucifer answered me with a question. I cocked my head, mimicking his earlier movement. With a roll of his eyes, Lucifer stuck out his hand impatiently, palm up. I slowly put my hand into his.

"Wren, just so you know, I will never let anything bad happen to you, or your siblings," my father said seriously.

"Umm, okay..?" I answered hesitantly.

And then he jumped off the balcony, dragging me along with his iron-firm grip.

"Dad, what're you DOING!?" my last word was followed by a long scream as we plummeted down towards the ground. "DAD!!" I screamed at Lucifer, who inclined his head in my direction with an air of indifference.

"WE ARE ABOUT TO DIE, DAD!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??!!" I screamed in his face. 

"Wren, darling, the last thing that is going to happen is us dying. You are half angel, and-"

"ARE YOU INSANE!?" I bellowed. He put a finger to his lips. "My dear, do you want to lose your voice tomorrow?" he asked calmly. I wanted to shake him. "OH MY GOD DAD IF I DIE RIGHT NOW-"

I cut myself off abruptly. Lucifer was still holding on to my now extremely sweaty hand, and the almost empty sidewalk outside Lux was getting closer and closer. I shut my eyes tightly. "Dad, what were you thinking.." I said, more to myself then my father. 

I expected a loud thump, maybe some pain, maybe cement touching my cheek, but I got none of those things. Instead, when I cracked open an eye,  the tips of my sneakers were touching the sidewalk, but that was all. I opened my other eye and looked to Lucifer, who was also floating. Wait, floating?

I slapped myself with my free hand. "Are we dead?" I asked my dad reluctantly. He let out a small chuckle. "Sorry, dear, we are not dead," he said after cracking a smile. Then I realized, there were two gorgeous, feathery, white wings extending elegantly from Lucifers back. I looked wildly around, and almost fainted. Almost identical, birdlike wings were flapping on my back.

"Ack!" I yelped, and they disappeared. I fell onto the ground on my ass, groaning.

"What the hell was that?!" I shouted at my father in confusion. Lucifers wings folded into his back and he landed gently on his feet, before taking my hand and pulling me up gently.

"I think you know," Lucifer said quietly. I wrenched my hand from his grasp and took a few steps back. "No, no, no, no!" I groaned, pressing my palms against my temples. "This cannot be real, I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming!" I said as I paced back and forth on the sidewalk. "Wait," my head shot up. "Does that mean, are you actually, your eyes, I-" I cut myself off for the second time that night. My eyes flitted across his face, his warm dark brown eyes, his wavy black hair that was ruffled across his forehead. He brushed some of it out of his eyes and muttered, more to himself than anyone else; "So much like her mother,"

I walked a few more steps back, thinking about the strange birthmarks on my back, were they.. my wings?

"I- I need to think," I stuttered before running off.

After she had left, Lucifer sat down on a nearby bench and buried his head in his hands. Had he expected anything different, from his own daughter?

I suppose i did..