Chapter 5- The First Step

EVIE DUG THrough her chest, going through all of her special items, such as crowns and bracelets that Dizzy had made with her when she was still on the Isle. When she got to the bottom, she found her recipe book for apples, and thrust it into her red heart bag. She quickly walked out of the room, and decided to shortcut her way to the kitchen, by cutting her way through trimmed grass lawn. However, unfortunately, she was stopped by her friends, who were on the ground in front of the beast statue, eating lunch. Mal made her sit down and try some sandwich.

"No, it's okay, I really have to get going, I was, uh, going to go meet Doug for lunch," she hurriedly explained and ran off, her heels sinking into the soft dirt. The three friends all looked at each other.

"Anybody else seeing this? Evie, wearing a brown jacket, with no rips or holes, and tennis shoes," Mal spoke up first.

"Yeah, and she always eats, unless she's nervous, and she would not be nervous to meet Doug," Carlos said, pulling at a strand of hair.

"She wouldn't meet Doug," Jay went over all possible reasons she would want to see Doug, but he couldn't. "He broke up with her for Sadie." Mal spit out her water, spittling it over the boys. Jay groaned and glared daggers at the girl, and Carlos grabbed a napkin and rubbed it on his jacket in attempt to clean it up.
"He broke up with her for Snow White's daughter?" Jay nodded his head. Mal looked at the ground fixedly. Evie was up to something, then, and Mal would find out.

Finally in the kitchen, and out of the open, Evie opened her recipe book, flipping through the pages until she found the one she was looking for- The Sleeping Poison. She found a ripe Granny Smith, and threw it into a cauldron of boiling water that she conveniently found there, not giving it a thought. She put in sour grapes, for rotten dreams, aged wine, for years of sleep, and a piece of her hair, to put in the magic for it all to come together. She recited the rhyme, and a gust of air hit her right in the face. She used a pair of rubber tongs and pulled out the apple, giving it a good sniff, finding it to smell like a normal apple. She smiled devilishly, just like old times. Evie crept down the hallway and into the kitchen, putting the shiny apple on the tray of fruits, before frowning. Herkie didn't usually come through the common room, he usually went to the tourney fields or R.O.A.R. training rooms with Jay. A plan started forming in her brain, and her lips twisted into a grim smile, walking out of the building. Right now, it was tourney season, which meant that the boys would be out on the tourney field early the next morning. The bluenette pressed herself against a nearby wall and looked out over the corner, sighing in relief as she didn't see anyone ambling around in the stretch between her current position and her goal. She crouched, ready to make a run for it when a hand grabbed her shoulder. Evie immediately whipped around, knocked of the hands, and raised her own fists, ready for a fight, until she saw a flash of purple hair.

"M-Mal? What are you doing here," she asked, putting her fists down. Mal simply gave her a look that suggested she was crazy.

"Earlier, I went to talk to you, and you weren't in our room, then I went to Carlos and Jay's room, and I heard you talking to someone. Who were you talking to? Oh, and then when we were eating lunch, not only were you not eating, but you said you were meeting Doug, when in reality, you hate him because of Sadie. So, you're up to something, what is it," Mal pestered her, raising an eyebrow. "And why are you hiding an apple behind your back?"