Chapter 9- Coming Clean

MAL, JAY, ANd Carlos were waiting in the dark in Mal's room for Evie to return from who knows where. At exactly half past one in the morning, the door creaked open, and the trio heard not one, but two pairs of footsteps arrive. When the door clicked shut, Mal snapped her fingers and the lights flickered on. She narrowed her eyes at the blue-haired princess and her brunette companion.

"Evie. Explain both why you poisoned Herkie, and are with whoever this is," Mal gestured at Claudia dramatically, and Claudia smirked and wagged with her fingers. Evie raised an eyebrow and looked hurt.

"What makes you believe that I would harm anybody?" She feigned a look of shock. "And this is Claudia Frollo." Claudia dramatically bowed, smirking all the while. She stepped towards Mal, making the fairy take a step back, and the boys step forward.

"You must be Mal, it truly is an honor to meet the Queen of Auradon," she said sarcastically.

"Claudia," Evie said warningly, and to her delighted surprise, Claudia listened and stepped back behind her.

"E-evie, how-how could you?" Mal asked, tears brimming in her green irises. "You know, I truly believed that you didn't, but now I know that you did. Why did you?" Evie shrugged, seeing her "best friend" in pain didn't make her feel perfect, but unconsciously felt great after being trampled by her for the past few months.

"Well, my dear Mal, how else was I going to get you to even talk to me," she said smoothly. At first, she hadn't seen it, but now she did. Hayden set it up to appear as though she had viciously attacked someone, but in reality, he had made it personal for both him and Evie. And Evie would make it personal, make Mal feel small and helpless, make her feel trampled all over. The bluenette's darkening heart twisted in joy. "You see, you've been busy- oh so busy- whenever I needed or wanted to talk to you. You're always in a meeting with Ben, or visiting Uma in the Isle even though you guys are sworn enemies. And I'm sick of it, being pushed around by you and the VKs. Being heartbroken over and over again. I came here looking for a prince, and I never found one, I feel in love with Doug. And that wasn't enough. It wasn't enough that I lost my boyfriend, I had to lose my best friends, too. Good-bye Mal. I certainly hope we meet again." With one last sinister look, both she and Claudia disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke, sent by Hayden. Mal's eyes widened and her hand flew over mouth.

"Oh my goblins," she ran to her drawers, taking out a note. She read it once over before ripping it up and throwing in the trash. She was so overwhelmed that her eyes flashed a dangerous shade of green, and her head threw back. A purple smoke surrounded her until a comforting hand touched her shoulder, and she calmed down. She had been so worked up that she hadn't seen Ben enter the room. He wrapped his arms around her and she clung to his body, crying.

"He sent them. I can't believe she left us for him."

"Who Mal?"

"Hayden. Hades' son, and my brother." Everyone stared at her in shock.