Nine

Once the pair was all unpacked, Steve laid on the right side of the bed, the closest side to the window, and allowed his eyelids to ease shut.  Faintly, Steve could hear the alternative music coming from Natasha's headphones.  But Steve didn't mind, a little noise always helped Steve fall asleep.  Steve was used to commotion and noise.  Eddie being a kid.  Sarah absentmindedly whistling through the house whenever she was concentrating on something.  Joseph's loud chuckles that could be heard from the second floor.  Those sounds were Steve's home and safe space.

As images of the Rogers family flashed through Steve's mind and as the sleepiness crept around Steve like a warm blanket, there was a loud knock on the door.  Steve opened his eyes and rolled onto his side, facing the door and called out, "Yes?"

The door cracked open a little and Tibby peeked her head into the small opening.  She had a smile on her face and she announced, "Dinner is ready."  When her eyes landed on Natasha, Tibby added, "If you're hungry."

Steve smiled and told her, "Give me a minute."

Tibby's heart shaped face lit up before she quickly nodded and closed the door again.  Sitting up, Steve stretched his arms up above his head and climbed off the bed.  Almost as though on cue, Steve's stomach grumbled, and Steve crossed the room.

Looking back at Natasha, Steve asked, "Aren't ya comin'?"

Natasha removed her headphones and said, "I think I'll stay here.  Ya know, be fashionably late."

"You can't be fashionably late when you're already at the house," Steve chuckled, stretching again.

Dramatically, Natasha sighed and climbed off the bed.  Throwing her head back to look up at the ceiling, Natasha begrudgingly made her way across the room.  Steve opened the door and Natasha led the way out of the room.

There was a lot of commotion coming from the kitchen.  Music playing, people talking.  Although normally Steve would've felt right at home if this was happening at his house, he was suddenly very nervous.  Being glad to follow Natasha.  Steve was pretty sure that he'd follow Natasha into battle, if he had to.

Standing there, close to the wall, Steve observed that chaos that was going on.  The two older brunettes were carrying plates over to the large kitchen table off to the side.  At the stove, there was a pale, voluptuous woman with her brown locks twisted into a messy bun.  Steve spotted spots of paint on her dark green twill capri pants and light blue tee, instantly intrigued with Aunt Winifred.

As she stirred the vegetables in a large wok stove top, she playfully swatted at a sweaty, shirtless, black boy with a shirt tossed over his broad, muscular shoulder.  The boy threw his head back as he laughed at her for swatting at him.  Leaning in, he pressed a kiss to her cheek as though he was silently apologizing for messing with her.

Still chuckling, the boy leaned over the large kitchen island where another sweaty, shirtless boy was sitting and they quickly started signing to each other.  The one sitting, had noticeable tan lines with his arms being darker than his pale torso.  With his freckled back to the pair, Steve could feel his face heating.  After all, how many attractive boys were expected to be arou--

"Oof," Steve exhaled when someone bumped into him with so much force that Steve stumbled forward, quickly gaining the attention of the room.

Not wanting to see everyone looking at him, Steve glanced behind himself to see Bucky.  Bucky's face was beet red, causing his widened blue eyes to stand out immensely as he quickly apologized, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Steve reassured Bucky as another boy walked around them clutching his stomach as he loudly chuckled.

Natasha narrowed her eyes at the laughing boy and she asked him, "You think it's funny to push people into other people?"

"A little," he admitted, trying to calm his chuckles and failing miserably.  Straightening up, he showed that he was at least six inches taller than Natasha and had shoulders as wide, if not wider, than Bucky.  His face, smug and a smirk tugged at the left corner of his mouth.  Running his hand through his dark hair, he introduced himself, "I'm Brock."

"Natasha," she replied, cold, uncaring as she studied him.  Keeping her gaze on Brock, Natasha gestured over her shoulder and said, "Steve."

"Steve?"  Brock questioned, his grin widening like he was going to start laughing again.  The pair nodded and Brock doubled over laughing again.

Blood rushed to Steve's cheeks and he dropped his gaze.  Steve knew that his outer appearance didn't exactly match his inner, but he was working with what he had.  He was trying.

Appetite entirely gone, Steve prayed that his building tears didn't flow over and escape his eyes.  Natasha crossed her arms along her chest and asked, "Is that funny?"

"Yeah," Brock chuckled.  Then he clarified, "You know that they have a goat named, Steve, right?"

Steve cautiously glanced up at that, seeing that Bucky's face was still red.  Natasha scoffed as she asked, "Who had the bright idea to name the goats Peggy and Steve?!"

"Me!"  Tibby cheerfully exclaimed as she stood on the table's bench along the wall with the windows.  Clearly proud with herself.