Fifty-One

Two days felt like two weeks. It was ridiculous. Steve was practically a human skin-suit operated by butterflies by the time that Saturday had rolled around. He had been so racked with nerves that when Bucky even managed a smile his way, he felt like he was going to collapse into a puddle of goo on the floor.

Of course, it didn't help that Natasha and Sam kept exchanging knowing glances with each other. Or the fact that every time that Bucky and Steve looked at each other, a deep blush colored their cheeks. A couple of times, the blush even reached the tips of Steve's ears and stretched down his neck.

"If you keep stressing, you're not going to have any fun," Natasha warned Steve from the bed.

Steve was trying to get his floppy hair to lay the way that he wanted it to lay. However, he had made the stupid decision to let Natasha trim it earlier and now it wasn't cooperating. No matter how good of a job Natasha did, his hair was stubborn.

"You should be excited," Natasha called, not moving from her spot. "Worrying is bad for your skin."

Rolling his eyes, Steve left the ensuite and crossed his arms. Natasha was on her phone, not paying attention to Steve at all. Steve jokingly questioned, "Do you hear yourself when you speak?"

"Yup," Natasha confirmed, keeping her attention on her phone, "That's why I talk so much. I have a damn sexy voice."

"Right," Steve scoffed, standing there in the doorway, worrying his lip with his teeth. Glancing down at himself, wondering if he should change. After all, he had been wearing the sky blue tee and tan cargo shorts all day. But would it be too obvious if he did change. Sure, Steve had been wearing the clothes all day, but he hadn't done anything to warrant a change. It would make it so much easier if we weren't practically living together.

"Seriously, bruh, you need to stop," Natasha declared, setting her phone down and sitting up from the mounds of pillows that she had been relaxing on.

"Stop what?" Steve asked, guiltily avoiding Natasha's gaze.

Natasha sighed and patted the bed. When Steve didn't move to join her, Natasha patted the bed again, a bit more aggressively, and Steve caved. Plopping down on the comfy bed, Steve laid on his back and stared up at the ceiling. It was calming enough being by Natasha, but he could feel the stress start seeping out of his body when Natasha started running her fingers through his hair.

"Just --" Natasha paused, searching for her words "-- have fun."

"A novel concept there," Steve deadpanned.

"Suck my dick," Natasha retorted in the same tone, still fluffing Steve's hair. "You know what I mean though. Bucky likes you, so there's no reason to make yourself sick with worry."

Hearing that Bucky liked him caused Steve's stomach to flip. Damn butterflies. Steve kept his gaze on the ceiling and blindly moved his hand in search of Natasha's phone. Once his hands touched the black silicone bat case, Steve grasped the phone and picked it up. Checking the time, Steve's heart raced. Realizing that it was almost time for Slasher Sunday, Steve forced himself up and off the bed.

Crossing the room, Steve was about to leave when he had second thoughts and turned back. Quickly heading back over to Natasha, he puffed out his chest a bit and demanded, "Smell check?"

Natasha moved to her knees on the bed and leaned forward to sniff at Steve. Inhaling deeply as she did so. Then, she flopped back on the bed and confirmed, "You're fine."

"Good," Steve nodded, exhaling a puff of air. Pushing his hand through his floppy hair, Steve nodded again and repeated, "Good."

"Just keep repeating, 'Bucky likes me,'" Natasha encouraged.

"Right," Steve agreed, trying to put that to memory. Almost as though it would click and relax his anxious body.

Then, before he could really regret his decision, Steve hurried to cross the room and exit. Closing the door, Steve found the lights out in the living room and smelled freshly popped popcorn. Which didn't necessarily ease him either. Luckily though, Steve had remembered to bring his black licorice.

With the licorice acting like a security blanket, Steve walked around the short dividing wall and entered the living room. Which happened to be the exact time that Bucky entered as well with a large bowl of popcorn. Momentarily, both boys paused in their respective entryways and bashfully smiled at each other before heading over to the comfy lime-green sofa.

Steve took his normal seat in the middle cushion and waited for Bucky to take his spot beside him. The way they usually sat during their Monster Movie Monday mornings. However, Bucky didn't take his seat, yet.

Bucky set the popcorn on the coffee table and clarified, "Pizza rolls."

"Do you need help?" Steve hesitated on the couch.

"No," Bucky reassured with a large smile, "I got it. Thanks though."

Steve nodded and decided to get comfortable in his seat. Leaning forward, Steve pulled a cozy pink fleece blanket from under the coffee table and shook it out. As he started laying the blanket over his legs, Bucky returned with a tray topped with a large bowl of pizza rolls and two glasses of lemonade.

"Wow," Steve commented looking over the snacks.

"I, uh," Bucky started, taking his seat, "Wasn't sure what snacks you'd want."

"I'm all set," Steve reassured and held up his half-eaten pack of black licorice. Bucky nodded and quickly averted his gaze. Wanting Bucky to know that he appreciated everything, Steve softly stated, "Thanks."

Blushing, Bucky smiled, "No problem."

The longer Steve looked at Bucky, the darker Bucky's blush grew. Steve was sure that it matched his own red cheeks and although he didn't want to, he still averted his gaze. Glancing down at the small gap between their bodies and wondering if he should press in just a little closer.

Before Steve could weigh the pros and cons about moving closer, Darlene and Winifred left their bedroom to join Steve and Bucky.