Chapter 2

Their conversation was about as dry as the bread he left half-eaten on a tiny plate beside his wine glass. He lifted his glass for another swig, then peered across the table at his sister, who had hardly touched her drink. She observed him calmly, saying nothing. No doubt calculating her next move. She was always working some angle.

Her creepy bone-white mask with red markings loomed on the table nearby, a reminder of the loathsome life she chose to embrace. A life that, these days, he experienced only in the form of hazy dreams.

"So," he started after realizing she wasn't going to be the one to speak up, "are you really here to see me, or are you here about you-know-who?"

Raven scoffed, leaning back on the aged wooden seating and crossing one leg over the other. "Oh please, Qrow. We can say her name. We're not scared children."

Qrow narrowed his eyes, searching her face for any hint of the old her. The woman who he used to be proud to call his sister. Who was this imposter?

"If you're so brave, why won't you fight her?" he spat back raspily, downing almost all of what remained in his glass, at least in part to block the scowl thrown his way.

"I have a duty to fulfill," Raven said, peering down her nose at her brother. She splayed her arms, looking around the rundown tavern packed with customers from various walks of life. None of them reputable, if appearances were any indication. "There's more to life than this, you know."

"This is the only thing keeping me from suffering an allergic reaction to your bullshit, Raven."

She sighed, slapping a hand on the table. "No, I'm not here about Salem."

Qrow raised an eyebrow when she lifted her hand, revealing a small stack of lien. It was more than enough to cover their tab. In the back of his mind, he wondered whether or not the money was originally hers.

"Then what, Raven? I need to get back. You know, to the family you abandoned?"

"If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black," Raven whispered, shaking her head. She leaned across the table so that they were inches from one another. "Look, Qrow. I didn't ask you to meet with me just so we could argue. You already know how I feel about all of this, and I know how you feel. That won't get us anywhere."

"Finally!" he exclaimed, raising his free hand toward the ceiling, "we can agree on something!"

Ignoring the comment, she went on. "I came because I thought about what you said last time. About Yang."

"Yeah?" Qrow emptied his glass and cast it aside next to Raven's mask. "What about her?"

"You thought she deserved to know her father, and her...well, Ruby." Raven averted her eyes. He nodded and stayed silent, leaving her room to continue. "I've decided to tell her."

"Hmm?" Qrow gasped, looking at his sister in utter disbelief. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"Just let me finish!" Raven hissed.

"Alright, alright. Sheesh."

"Anyway, for once, I'll concede that I think you're right. I've decided to tell Yang about each of you." Raven gave Qrow a once-over. "Well, not you. She knows of you, but just hasn't met you. I'll tell her about Tai and Ruby, and let her choose what she does with that knowledge."

Qrow frowned thoughtfully, cupping his chin. This was a big deal. Raven not only admitting she was wrong, but finally letting Yang know about the other half of her family?

A pretty waitress in a floral skirt and burgundy blouse danced by, stopping to top Qrow's glass off. She was a bright speck in an otherwise dreary hangout spot. All around them he saw earthy, subtle tones. Depressing, to say the least. Not to mention the place was crawling with lowlifes. Odds were that the young lady wouldn't last long in this dump. Deep down, Qrow knew he should stop her from giving him any more to drink, but he didn't. Something told him this conversation would warrant another round.