Chapter 15

Yang was screwed. Utterly screwed.

All of the time and effort she spent keeping the truth from spilling out under the wrong circumstances, crafting how she was going to break the news, all wasted.

Her teammates were either showering or getting ready for bed, interacting with her only when absolutely necessary. In her younger sister's case, that seemed to be not at all. Although they had no personal stake in any of the brewing conflict, Weiss and Blake could sense the insanely high tension between the sisters, and kept their distance. Yang couldn't really blame them for their choice.

Interrupting her racing thoughts, Ruby came around the corner out of the bathroom's entrance. Her skin was aglow with a nice, healthy sheen. At least, judging by what little Yang could make out, given the pile of rolled white towels stacked high enough to obscure Ruby's face. Her exposed arms and legs still held beads of moisture soaked up from the steamy showers. In the back of her mind, Yang couldn't help but wonder if Ruby loaded herself up with towels on purpose just to avoid making eye contact. Was she really that upset with her?

Ruby set the towels down on a nearby surface and systematically stacked them in a drawer. A burgundy robe was tied snugly around her small waist over her usual pajamas. She never once turned to look at Yang. Yang sat awkwardly, legs crossed on her chosen bed, still not sure what to do next.

Here goes nothing.

There was no point in delaying, so Yang opted for the quickest, but most uncomfortable, solution. When her sister stood and kicked the drawer shut, she threw caution to the wind and spoke up.

They started to say each other's names simultaneously, paused halfway, then stared at one another. The running water hissing out of the bathroom faucet in the background was the girls' only respite from the silence that claimed them. With considerable effort, Yang managed to level her voice.

"You go first," she offered.

Ruby nodded and cleared her throat. Her thin, petite figure straightening like a beanpole. Yang got the feeling Ruby had practiced this moment in her head. Maybe even dreaded it, like her older sister.

"Yang, like I said before, I needed some time to think about all of this."

"Yeah, and?"

"And I'm done now. I have a question for you."

"Sure," Yang said, stiff-necked with anticipation. "Anything."

"Okay..."

Ruby took careful steps toward Yang and sat at the foot of her bed.

"Who exactly are you to my Uncle Qrow?" she started, wasting no time. "Are you his daughter or something?"

"N-no!" Yang stammered. "Nothing like that."

"Then who are you, Yang?"

Yang quietly observed her younger sister. Ruby's usual meekness had taken a backseat to a more focused, purposeful attitude. She wanted answers. The time had finally come to have 'the talk.' Yang let out a shaky breath.

"I grew up traveling around, mostly on the continent of Anima with my mother and the rest of our tribe. We were always on the move, fighting Grimm and...." Yang pushed past the sinking feeling of guilt welling up in her. She needed to get this all out, or she might lose her chance at mending things with Ruby. "...and collecting resources to survive. We'd set up camp anywhere that seemed safe and out of the way of major settlements. Over time, the Branwen tribe made a name for itself. We were respected and feared everywhere we went."

"Feared?" Ruby's eyes shimmered with curiosity. "But why?"

"Your uncle didn't tell you, did he?" The look on her sister's face spoke for itself, so Yang didn't wait for an answer. "The Branwen tribe gained their reputation by leading Grimm toward weaker villages, then raiding what was left behind."