Chapter 6: A Long Phone Call

"Wow! You just shut him out. You want Mike to read it but you don't want him to do anything about it? You really are bossy," Driggs concluded.

Good thing, the red light flashed at the stoplight. I snatched the paper.

"Give me that! This is so in the past. And people change, okay? I'm not bossy. I just wanted him to know how I feel," I retorted.

"People change, huh? How come you still have this?" He shifted on his seat so he was facing me. "And you are bossy. Try reading it. You were telling him what he needs to know and what he needs to do. No questions will be entertained".

I turned my head to the passenger seat and asked, "Really?"

"Hell yeah! Is this what you mentioned as more epic than throwback Thursdays and flashback Fridays?" He teased.

"Well, I wanted to show you all of those when we get to the house so we can laugh about how cheesy and corny we were," I said in my matter-of-factly tone and trying not to get affected by his teasing grin.

"He's your officemate-friend from the bank?"

"Uhmmm...yes."

"I know I've met him."

"Yup!" my quick reply. "But come to think of it, you have not met some of my other friends from work. Or if you ever have, it's just a quick introduction".

"I know them...in Facebook," he laughed. "You called me about him while I was in Davao? Right?"

I looked at Driggs and quickly turned my attention on the road and slowly responded, "Yup".

He flashed a sheepish smile, "I think that was the longest phone conversation we ever had".

He chuckled. I can feel him looking at me and waiting for a response. I know I was blushing.

"About an hour? Could be more?" he said while acting out with his hand on his chin as if he was thinking so hard.

"Right, Lytes?"

"Yeah, yeah," I surrendered. It was true, that was the longest phone call I ever made...in my life...so far.

(That phone call...)

For the second time, I was dialing Driggs' mobile number.

"I thought he said he was already awake? Come on, answer the phone."

I checked our text exchange again.

Awakey Wakey?

Awakey Wakey!

I called his number for the third time. He picked up on the second ring.

"You said you were awake already? What took you so long to answer?"

"Can I not take a pee first?"

"Sorry"

"What is this call about?" He said in the middle of a yawn.

"I have to tell you something. But you have to promise me that you will not laugh." I was pacing inside my room.

"If it's a joke, I cannot promise not to laugh," he sounded a bit disinterested. Who would not be? I woke him up on the only rest day he had for the week.

"I'm serious. I can tell if you're laughing even if I can't see you. Promise?"

"Ok, promise."

I let out a sigh.

"Wow, that was deep. Is this a matter national security?! Of life and death?!" He joked.

"You have to help me figure this out."