Chapter 23: Dare

The favor I needed Mike's help was to learn to ride and drive a scooter. I honestly dislike motorcycles, motorbikes, scooters and the like. There had been so many accidents involving them, and whenever my brothers would suggest buying one, I get in an argument with them. So how come I'm so determined to drive a scooter now? It was the dare Ska had imposed on me when she won a bet.

Mike learned about this when we talked over the phone last Sunday after their game.

Mike: A bet? What was the bet about?

Lytes: We were having our dinner buffet at our favorite Korean restaurant when Ska spotted a table with cute Korean guys.

M: Ah...did she ask you to get their names and numbers? Knowing you, you would never approach a guy.

L: Ouch! But yeah...

M: Hahaha! It's the truth!

L: I know, I know!

M: Hahaha! Okay, what happened?

L: I was the one who dared her to do it. She's been checking them out. And Ska had been obsessing with Korean actors and k-pop boy groups lately. To me, most of them are look-alikes. But I would agree that those guys were good looking.

M: So she got their names and numbers?

L: Well, there was one particular cutie that she eyed. I told her she cannot ask help from anyone. Even if Ska's engrossed with Korean soaps, she relies on subtitles to understand these. She just had to use her charm and convincing power. I was quite confident because I felt that they don't speak English.

M: Judgmental...tsk tsk tsk!

L: They didn't look like they converse in English because they were talking in Korean the whole time.

M: But you underestimated them and you lost the bet.

L: (Sigh) True! Their English were so good you'd think they grew up in the States. We chatted with them when they joined our table when we were having dessert. Apparently, they moved here in Manila to learn English. They mastered it along with the accent and never left.

M: Okay. And because you lost, Ska dared you to drive a motorbike?

L: Yup!

M: Why didn't she just demand you to date one of the cute Koreans?

L: When we do these dares, it can't be the same endeavor. Like if I dared her to sing, she would dare me to dance. It has to be totally unrelated. We have been pretty competitive and creative with our bets and dares. But of course, they have to be wholesome and not life threatening.

M: You both are...something.

L: So, since you owe me and you are a very, very, very good friend...you need to teach me to drive your scooter.

M: I don't even know why I owe you when it was your own volition to watch the game...but...because I am a very, very, very good friend (sigh) I will teach you to drive a scooter.

L: Your scooter.

M: Why mine?

L: Duh? We don't have one.

M: (Sigh) Okay. What choice do I have?

L: Yahoo!!!

M: When?

L: Since our lunch this weekend is at my house, we can do it in the morning. Actually, I'll suggest that instead of lunch here, let's just have dinner. Then you can teach me the whole day!