Chapter 8

Hadley and Mal were together and girls were saying, Look, It's Mal. Hi, Mal! Love my hair, Mal! Are you feeling kind of weird about this? I mean, It's not so bad here, you know. Jay said and Hadley said, Are you insane? Long live evil! You're mean! You're awful! You're bad news! Snap out of it!

Jay said, Thanks, Hads. I needed that. Audrey off to the side with Ben asked, Do you think they actually paid for those? Jay said, Oh, hello. The name's Jay. You all going to the tourney game tonight? Girls said, Yeah.

Jay said, Keep a lookout for number eight, all right? Scoring the winning goal. A Girl said, Okay. Audrey said, She did it to Jane's hair, too, and Fairy Godmother's not happy about it. Ben said, What's the harm? Audrey said, It's gateway magic! Sure, it starts with the hair. Next thing you know It's the lips and the legs and the clothes and then everybody looks good and then... where will I be?

Ben said, Listen, Audrey... Audrey said, I will see you at the game after my dress-fitting for the coronation, okay? Ben said, Okay. Audrey replied with a Bye, Bennyboo. Ben said, Bye. Mal said to Hadley, Goodluck. Soon leaving.

Hadley said, Hey, Bennyboo! Ben replied with a Hey.
I just made a batch of cookies. Double chocolate chip, do you want one? Hadley said and he said, Oh, I, uh, I've got a big game. I don't eat before a big game. But thank you so, so much. Thank you. Next time. Next time.

No, yeah. I completely understand. "Be careful of treats offered by kids of villains." Mostly from the daughter of Hades. Hadley said and Ben said, No, no, no. Hadley said, No, I'm sure every kid in Auradon knows that. Ben said, No, that's not it. No, no, no, I... I really do... Hadley said, No, I get it. You're cautious. That's smart. Oh, well, more for me, I guess. She was to "eat" it but Ben grabbed it eating soon saying, No, no. Hey... see that? Totally trust you. Totally.

Hadley asked, How are they? Ben said, They're good. They're great! They're amazing! They're, uh... I mean, they're chewy and, and you know, they... is that walnuts? Hadley nodded. I love walnuts. I mean, uh, you know, the... The chocolate... The... the chocolate... The chocolate chips are... I'm sorry. Um... Uh, they're... They're warm and soft. And they're sweet... Hadley, have you always had those little golden flecks in your eyes? He was going to take another bite but Hadley grabbed it and Jay came up behind him.

Jay said, How you feeling, bro? Ben said, I feel... I feel... I feel like... Like singing your name. Hadley she put her hand over his mouth as he tried to say, Hadley again. Okay bye, see you at the game. She said to the boys. Hadley walked to Mal and Evie feeling a bit bad but Mal said, nice job! Thanks Hadley said smiling a bit.

The girls were in the bleachers with Lonnie watching the game. The announcer said, This is a nail-biter, folks. There's 47 seconds left on the clock. We're all tied up. The Sherwood falcons, two. The fighting knights, two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rivals.

Jay said, Get 'em, Chad. Chad said, Thanks, Jay.
The Announcer said, The teams get into their huddles and take up positions along the kill zone. Akiho! The dragoneers have been laying down a withering hail of fire.

Coach Jenkins said, You're up. Announcer said, And now a substitution... Jay asked, Coach, how about my buddy here? Coach Jenkins said, Oh, no. Not so sure about that. Jay said, Coach, he's been practicing. Coach Jenkins said, Jay...

Jay said, And you said yourself a team is made up of a bunch of parts. Carlos said, Jay, I'm not that good.
Jay replied saying, Well, he's kind of like my brain.
Coach Jenkins said, Come here! You heard him. Get out there! Jay said, Don't worry, bro. I got your back.
Carlos asked, How about my front? Jay replied saying, Pfft. Get out there.

The Announcer said, He's bringing that hothead Jay in from the Isle of the Lost and that little guy Carlos can barely hold a shield. All of them said, Break!

The Announcer said, When they break from their huddles, this is gonna be a big moment here. And the tipoff is ready. Here we go. Long pass goes to Jay. Jay dishes off to prince Ben. Nice little block by Carlos. He does a little dancing jig in his opponent's face. And now Jay gets the ball back. Here comes Jay! Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field.

Ben yelled, I'm open! The Announcer said, Jay makes a nice pass to Prince Ben through the kill zone. Ben yelled, Jay! The Announcer said, Big block by Chad! Prince Ben moves over wide, gives it back to Jay. He's in the clear! Shot! Oh, what a save by Philip the Faalcons' goalkeeper!

Ben yelled, Come on! All right, all right, let's do it!
Coach Jenkins said, Come on, guys! Come on, hustle, hustle! The Announcer said 23 seconds left. You could cut the tension with a sword. The long ball is played into Jay. Jay, great jump, great leap. And a great move by Jay. Big block from Chad. Jay dishes off to Prince Ben. And then Carlos with a big block, goes down. Jay through the kill zone, picks up Carlos. Oh, he's being hammered by dragon fire. Still, going on. Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field. He's in the clear. The ball goes back to Jay. Carlos yelled, Hey, Jay! Jay said, Carlos? Carlos said, Go up! Ben!

The Announcer said, He passes to prince Ben. He scores! Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay! What a team! Incredible! And it's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince for the win here. What a victory! An absolutely wonderful end to one of the best games ever. Here they come, folks. The winners of the first tourn...

Soon Ben took the mic...