Come Home, Sky

Rocky insisted on dropping me off but I was adamant on going there myself. He had a meeting he wanted to cancel which gave me the perfect reason to not allow him to drop me off. I insisted he attend his meeting, after all, I wasn't walking to my parents' place, we had a driver.

I wheel the luggage to the front door. "Here goes," I whisper to myself before rubbing my hands together.

When mum opens the door, she pulls me into a hug. I try not to wince from the wound but a subtle sound escapes my lips.

"Sorry," mum says as I watch a tear slip past her eyes. I wipe at the tears. "You know I'm fine, mum," I say pushing myself forward to give dad a hug.

"What are you doing here?" He says watching me carefully before eyeing my luggage by the door.

I fake a smile and clap my hands together. "I'm staying with you guys for the week."

Mum claps her hands on excitement beside me. "That's wonderful."

Dad smiles but he gives me a questioning look. "You and Rocky okay?"

I nod. "Perfect," I say...or as perfect as can be considering the situation.

He doesn't question me any further as mum pulls me into the living room. "How is your health?" She asks forcing me to sit on the couch.

"I'm okay," I tell her. "It wasn't even a big stab wound." They both cringe at that.

"Did they catch who did it?" Dad asks.

I nod but I don't say any further. Grabbing one of mum's caramel slices off the table, I distract myself with the food in hopes they don't ask too many questions.

I would never be able to explain it all to them. The hospital. The guy I stabbed in the hospital and how he happens to be the brother of Paul, the CEO of Systematics Corp. The Systematics Corp who tricked my family into handing over the family business and estate, and all because his brother is dead and he is out for revenge. The same guy who also happened to stab me.

Tuning out my parents as they talk, I notice for the first time that the wound inflicted upon me is exactly where Aaron was stabbed...where I had stabbed him. Paul had really so clearly planned this.

"Sky," father says beside me.

My head snaps in his direction as I try to focus on him. "Yes."

"Are you okay?" He asks. "I asked you why Rocky didn't join us."

"He had a meeting."

"Is he going to come visit us by the end of the week?" father says. "I would hope so, especially with you so fragile."

"I am not fragile," I protest.

"Okay, dear," he replies. "But will he visit us."

I shake my head. "He has a deal overseas he needs to sign. He won't be in the country which is also partially why I'm here."

"Well that's disappointing," mother says giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

Father on the other hand doesn't react, he simply watches me intentionally. The doubt is clearly written on his face and I hate that he would doubt his own daughter.

"These are good," I say holding up the caramel slice and speaking with a mouthful of it.

Mother beams in excitement. "They used to be your favourite."

I excuse myself as I attempt to drag my luggage upstairs but father insists he will do it. He says that I should be resting and although having done nothing for the day, I do feel exhausted.